All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Super Hero RP
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 01:35 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Actually, The entire point of this RP is that the plot is character driven. So your character existing will conflict with the plot in a good way, as it were. I'm trying to sculpt the world around the characters that are in it.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 08:23 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
Well, I guess you all deserve a reminder that I'm still alive, so here's a bit of text from the background story. I'll have the rest of it up by the end of the week, including a timeline and a FAQ. If any of this contradicts your character stories, or Chaz's ideas, then please tell.

Throughout recorded human history, there have always a very small amount of people with superhuman abilities with powers roughly comparable to the most advanced technology known to the people of the time. Some of the earliest recorded superhumans were recorded as being as strong as chariot-horses, and able to fire energy-based projectiles said to have the strength and range of a well-crafted arrow. The deeds of many early superheroes and supervillains provided the base for ancient mythology, as deeds became more exaggerated with the mists of time.

(Note: Peoples without access to advanced technology do not develop stronger superhumans until they establish contact with those who do. Therefore, in the 1200s, Chinese superhumans would be slightly stronger than African and European ones, which would in turn be stronger to Native American and Aboriginal Australian ones.)

Despite the superhuman element, history diverged little from it’s path in baseline until the 20th century, (save the faster development of the feminist movement, due to the extreme difficulty of keeping superwomen in the kitchen!) for fairly obvious reasons. If a man as strong as a battleship led an opposing army, you either sent out a superhuman of your own, or you fired cannon at him until he died. However, notable divergences start to appear around 1918, when Wilson's more generous terms are used to end WWI, preventing WWII in Europe, and leading to an early start to the cold war. The Great Pacific War led to the invention of the jet-fighter and the atomic bomb which in turn led to radically increased power-levels for superhumans. By the 1960’s spandex-clad Mach-1 mini-nukes were the propaganda centerpieces of both NATO and the Warsaw Pact.

(Note: While the first nuclear powered superhumans were born in 1945, superhuman abilities do not manifest until puberty, meaning that if Atomic-Lad is born in 1945, he‘s not gaining his powers until the late 50‘s or early 60‘s.)

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 00:16 

L Award (1)
I'm the RP runner, and I approve of this message. With one caveat, in that when technology wasn't at it's prime, there were instances wherein a creature was the upper limit of these beings. It's already covered in there I just thought I'd be complete. Chariots, after all aren't all that fast, but pulled by fast horses.

For those who will no doubt ask when, I need to finish up the city and I'll be fine starting it.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 17:06 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
More flavor text awaiting Chaz's final approval.

Psychic Power:

Particularly strong-willed individuals can leave traces of themselves after their deaths, usually on some sort of item that they made use of in life, whether it be a weapon, tome, or something as innocuous as a piece of furniture. The most famous of these psychic artifacts is the claymore of Protectorate. The effect of these items generally depends on the type of the item, and the personality of the individual whose psionic residue was left behind. A scholarly individual may leave part of his essence in a particularly beloved book which enhances the reader’s intelligence, while a particularly strong warrior might leave behind a weapon that enhances the user’s strength. It should be noted that such items are rare, as the process of leaving behind one’s essence on an item involves painfully ripping out a part of one’s soul through sheer psychic force. Therefore, only the strongest psychics create such items, and even then, only when close to death.

Latent Mutation:

Not all mutations manifest themselves during puberty. Some mutations remain recessive until stimulated by outside forces, such as radiation, psychic energy, or Nano-machines. Though rare, it is also not unheard of for previously recessive powers to manifest themselves during a moment of need.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010, 23:17 

L Award (1)
Approved.

Lacking ARG's fine tongue, I'll just give information.

One of the key things to note about this game is the third alignment which I implemented, being the Government managed supers. For the most part, they fall under the federal government, but are typically managed by more local governments, ((outside the ones with highly destructive powers, of course. A man who's power is to annihilate regions isn't all that useful in a metropolitan police force)) The reason for this being to limit red tape in the event that a person on the east coast has a power that is perfect to handle a west coast problem. In order to prevent issues of powerism, these heroes are also usually only called in in responce to either super powered crime or in other instances where non powered police are not proving capable, leading to much of the vigilantiism, as some supers belive this to be a waste of talent and resources.

The second part of this post is the city. It is a port city several miles south of New York, formed around what is technically a natural port, if one chooses to count a surprising display of super powers a natural cause. Most don't. Primarily, the city has a democratic mayor ((Not really a political opinion, I just think that they're more likely to ignore Capes)) and the media is also somewhat pro-super, though obviously this does not suggest that there aren't those that openly express any super sentiment.

More to come.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 15:22 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
Again, final approval comes from the Chaz.

Superteams of Note:

Aegis:

Official super team of NATO, stationed in Brussels. Traditionally, one hero is assigned from each member country, and serve for three to six years. Team leadership changes annually, as to prevent the team from serving the political interests of one nation over another.

Liberty’s Sentinels:

Official super team of the United States, with elements stationed in New York City, San Francisco, and Washington DC, with the NYC branch being the most powerful, due to the disturbing prevalence of super crime on the Eastern seaboard . Generally, the US member of Aegis is chosen from it’s ranks.

Epsilon Force:

Official super team of Canada, based in Toronto. Known to work closely with the Sentinels. Generally, the Canadian member of Aegis is chosen from it’s ranks.

Albion 13:

Official super team of the United Kingdom, stationed in London. Generally, the British member of Aegis is chosen from it’s ranks. Currently, the team's membership is controversial, with one member claiming to be the reincarnation of Queen Boadicea. Public opinion of her sanity is divided.

People’s Anti-Imperialist National Team:

Official super team of the People’s Republic of China. Often involved in skirmishes with Russian and South Korean heroes. Mostly based out of Bejing, and Hong Kong, though an emergency base of operations is kept in the Tibetan province just in case. Usually referred to by the Western media as PAINT.

Red Guardians:

Official super team of the Warsaw Pact, founded in 1956 as a response to Aegis. Unlike it’s western counterpart, the team leader is always from the same country, the USSR. Historically speaking, honorary membership has been granted to heroes from Cuba, North Korea, and China, although the Sino-Soviet split has prevented exchange from the latter two in recent years.

Winter Guard:

Superhuman policing element of the KGB. Generally accepted to be the covert masters of the Red Guardians.

Aryan Brotherhood:

Official super team of Iran, currently tasked with guarding their country’s nuclear weapons program. No female members have been accepted since the overthrow of the Shah.

Bratslavian Intensely Terrific Caped Heroes:

Official super team of Bratslavia. The team’s publicist and English translator were both killed in a mysterious accident following the teams unveiling to the Western Media.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010, 08:45 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
I like the acronym on that last one. I can see it now...

"Two members of B**** were killed in a massive explosion yesterday..."

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010, 16:06 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
I dunno, the Aryan Brotherhood is a pretty clever name for an Iranian team, and PAINT is a pretty good acronym too.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010, 16:10 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
I was talking to Chaz, and he says it's logical enough to replace "with one member claiming to be the reincarnation of King Arthur," with "with one member claiming to be the reincarnation of Queen Boadicea," so we can save Arthur for something grander later.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010, 21:08 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
Okay, I've changed "Arthur" to "Boadicea" and switched pronouns from him to her, as I'm assuming Chaz didn't have a drag queen queen in mind, (though I admit the idea could prove to be interesting from a storytelling point of view.)

Oh, and if you have any "big" plans for Arthur, PM them to me, will you? :)

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 01:54 
Veteran

Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Does she have flaming red hair and a classic fantasy breast plate? (Also, it's Boudicca IIRC)

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 03:04 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Yes, it is Boudicca, but since she's been known as Boadicea by the general population for generations, it seems perfectly valid to me for her reincarnation to use whichever name she thinks would be most meaningful to her audience.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 21:30 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
Cataphrak wrote:
Does she have flaming red hair and a classic fantasy breast plate?

I'd assume she'd look something like this:

And unless I hear any objections, I'll be putting up the first three NPC bios tommorow, the core three members of Aegis: Captain Canuck, (A right-wing Canadian Superman/Captain America type,) Boudicca/Boadicea* (Basically the UK's Thor/Wonderwoman,) and American Steel, (Barrack Obama in what basically amounts to an Iron Man suit.)

*Which name do you Brits use more often, anyway? Personally, I've always used "Boudicca," but I since I've seen both names used regularly, I'm leaving the final call to you guys.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 01:00 

L Award (1)
Another Random Geek wrote:
Okay, I've changed "Arthur" to "Boadicea" and switched pronouns from him to her, as I'm assuming Chaz didn't have a drag queen queen in mind, (though I admit the idea could prove to be interesting from a storytelling point of view.)
Actually, since it's a reincarnation, rather than the Arthurian Idea that he himself would come back in England's Peril, it never occurred to me that the gender might be an issue. But I suppose that saves from the "Woman in a man's body." cracks.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 03:52 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
*Which name do you Brits use more often, anyway? Personally, I've always used "Boudicca," but I since I've seen both names used regularly, I'm leaving the final call to you guys.
These days, in anything remotely educational, it's always "Boudicca", but all the older generation grew up with "Boadicea", so both terms are in use. "Boudicca" would generally be considered to be the correct one now though.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 13:50 
Veteran

Captain Canuck, (A right-wing Canadian Superman/Captain America type,)
You can come up with better than that! (Or failing that, I can)

Seriously though, the term "Canuck" is so ingrained into Canadian culture as a camp and cheesy stereotype, it'd be like calling an American superhero "General Apple-Pie" or something.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 17:10 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
And Vancouver named their hockey team the Canucks.

Also, ARG, are you aware that Captain Canuck is an actual superhero? It seems too much of a coincidence to be coincidence, but just making sure...

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 20:08 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
Experiment 1337 wrote:
Also, ARG, are you aware that Captain Canuck is an actual superhero? It seems too much of a coincidence to be coincidence, but just making sure...
Shit, my Google-Fu is weak. The reason why I went with that name is because it sounded too stupid for anyone to have used it previously. He was meant to be a parody of people from Alberta, and the jingoism that is often packaged with characters like Superman and Cap but I'll rename him and rewrite his character to be more serious due to popular demand.

You guys are gonna have to tell me when I've added too much ham and cheese, as I'm trying to write this as a psuedo-Silver Age thing, and the Silver Age was very hammy and cheesy. Anyway, I freely admit, I'm not really able to bring my A-game at the moment, as right now I'm a bit preoccupied discovering the joys of End-of-Life Care at my grandparents' place, so I’m going to hold off posting those bios, but I should bounce back when I get home tomorrow.

Back on topic, unless anyone objects, I'm changing Canuck's name to Dominion. It's a short and sweet name that has relevance to Canada without being totally blatant and obvious. And if anyone does object… well, screw you guys.

So yeah… I pretty much have no idea why I typed this post up, seeing how it’s basically an incoherent rant with little to no relevant information, but here it is.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 20:15 
Veteran

Dominion's a great name. Give him a cowboy hat and a WW1 era British Army service tunic, and you'll be set.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 19:23 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
Ends up I might not be arriving home today after all. (Another day with the joys of hospice.)

I promise you I'll have the bios up within 24 hours no matter what.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 20:12 

L Award (1)
If it's difficult, let it be. It's been half a year in the making, I don't think a few days more will hurt it.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2010, 20:26 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
Hey everyone. I just wanted to apologize for the delay. I'm afraid I had to give myself a few days off to deal with some stress, but I'm back on the job for realz this time, and I promise you that I will have those bios up in a week. Thanks for your patience.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 20:14 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
Hero Name: American Steel
Alter-Ego: Barack Obama (public)
Notable Aliases: Mr. President, Commander in Chief, Barry Obama, Hope Man, The Chosen One, Tin Man, Black Jesus, The Man in the Iron Can
Height: 6’1’’/6’4’’ in armor
Weight: 180 lbs/400 lbs in armor

Biography:

Born to a Kenyan father and an New England mother in Hawaii, Barrack Obama earned a scholarship to Harvard, where he became president of the Law Review. Later he became a community organizer, and entered the realm of politics, where his rise was nothing short of meteoric, with his election to the senate in 2004, and the presidency in 2008, (replacing Republican Barry Goldwater Jr.) As has been the duty of the American president since 1940, Barrack Obama has taken up the armored mantle of American Steel, and is currently a member of Aegis.

History of the American Steel Armor:

In 1939, in response to fears over Soviet aggression and increased Japanese militarism, the United States military began covertly funding the development of an advanced battle suit that would be electronically linked to it’s wearer and augment his strength and durability to superhuman levels. Although the program was latter shelved due to extreme price ineffectiveness, (the United States navy could build, man, and arm two aircraft carriers for the price of one suit of armor!) the polio-crippled American president, Franklin D. Roosevelt expressed interest in acquiring the sole prototype after hearing that it’s crude electro-neural link could allow him to walk again, and declared it to be property of the United States Presidency. Although Roosevelt initially only wore the chest plate underneath his clothing, when the United States navy was maimed during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, (unlike our reality, several carriers were not at sea at the time of the attack,) the President felt obligated to provide a rallying symbol for his country, and led Allied troops from the front during the Second World War against Imperial Japan and Fascist Spain and Italy in the “American Steel“ armor, where he won particular acclaim saving a German panzer division from a Spanish superhuman assault.

After Roosevelt’s death in 1945, the armor passed on to his successor, Harry S Truman, as the US military could not agree on which service had jurisdiction over the suit, nor how to determine who was most qualified to wear it. Therefore, Roosevelt’s ruling stood, and it was declared that, as Commander In Chief, the American Steel armor was the President’s responsibility, (though weaker, more cost efficient armors later entered the armed services.) Since then, the armor has undergone countless modifications and changed hands several times. Some of the armor’s most notable users include Harry Truman, who integrated the military by vaporizing unruly racists, Richard Nixon, who defeated the zombie-plague possessed California governor, Ronald Reagan, and Barry Goldwater, who skirmished with intruding Soviet forces over the Bering Strait and almost started a nuclear war. It should be noted that while the armor has been used during war time, deploying advanced battle-armors are generally considered to be synonymous with deploying superhumans, and the use of superheroes and villains as military weapons is considered to be escalation short only of the use of nuclear arms.

Abilities:

(None out of armor)
Carbon Fiber Nano-weave armor (w/ self-repair systems)
Micro-Scramjet powered Flight (Max speed: Mach 8.5)
Shoulder-mounted Lockheed Martin ALMMDS (Advanced Long Range Micro Munitions Deployment System)
Depleted Uranium shoulder cannon
Point Defense Lasers
EMP Shielding
Flares
Chaff
Stealth
Super Strength (Max 80 tons can be lifted)

Weaknesses:

Unpopular decisions
Being attacked out of the suit

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 19:14 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
Hello everyone. I am very sorry for the triple post bump, but I feel obliged to inform you that a family emergency prevented me from getting online lately. Everything SHOULD be on track now.

And please don't forget to post comments, criticism, questions, etc. It makes me think people read what I post. :P

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 20:41 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Barack is spelled with one 'R,' unless this is a fictitious version of the Prez and is meant to be misspelled.

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next