All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Super Hero RP
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2011, 23:31 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Funniest (1)
I'm still interested, with the character I posted earlier.

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 19:59 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I'm also still interested, with my original character.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 13:34 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
Strange that I hadn't thought of getting involved with this beforehand. Just hope I'll be able to post regularly, if this does get moving :P

Name: Zelus

True Name: Edward Counsell (now calls himself Edward Bale)

Nicknames: The Skull Knightmare, Masked Flayer, Dude-what-was-that?

Appearance: Sharp, pointed features mark Edward as a distinctive person, as does his mid-length, dark-blonde hair and icy grey-blue eyes. He fancies himself something of a dark one, always wearing dull or muted colours, if not entirely black. He always wears slim black trousers held up with a slim leather belt that taper out at the ankles to accommodate his bulky preference in footwear, that is, large, heavy boots; often studded with metal and made entirely of thick leather. He prefers sleeveless shirts that allow him to move, but conversely favours wearing a heavy leather jacket, that is, though tattered and ragged, several sizes too large for his slight build.

Costume: While parading about as a super, Zelus has never seen much of a need to alter his usual wear. He adorns himself with skulls, as a mark of pride in his powers, or at least how he views/intends to use them, he attaches a silver skull belt-buckle, wears a skull-patterned shirt instead of his usual plain ones, and replaces his boots with the tools of his trade, a set of two-wheeled roller-skates practically encrusted with small metal skulls. To complete the look, he dons a skull-shaped mask to cover his eyes and nose, with the lower jaw of the skull removed to show his own mouth beneath the top row of teeth. This mask is split down the middle into two colours, the left side grey, complete with a bare eye-slit, while the right side is white, the eye covered with a black lens.

Just for effect, Edward often sweeps his hair back beneath the mask, giving it a curiously different style.

Personality: Edward is often an energetic character, he thinks fast, talks fast, and acts fast, often not considering the entire consequences of his actions before taking a leap of effective blind-faith in his own abilities. He plays the look and style of what he considers to be neo-goth, while retaining an almost skater attitude to life; if there is an obstacle in front of him he'll damned well take it as a challenge, otherwise he is content to wander about looking for more obstacles. He is rather interested in mechanics and technology, as something of a relevant side-note, he finds them to be very fascinating, and has spent a great deal of time learning all he can about all he can. He is particularly interested in the mechanics of his own powers, and the physics that apply to them. Occasionally he can come across as more mature and pessimistic far beyond his years, mainly as a result of his enhanced perception of time.

With the mask on, the only thing that changes is his restraint. Having made some obscure mental connection between changing from Edward, an arguably average fellow, into being Zelus, the Skull Knightmare, upon simply donning the mask, he has formed a complex in which he has great difficulties in utilising his powers completely without wearing said mask. When he does have it on, however, he has no qualms about living up to the particularly gruesome nicknames that many have attributed to his alter-ego.

Identity: Secret (though he doesn't really care about people finding out..)

Alignment: Originally Cape, now somewhere between Anti-Hero and Villian

Powers/equipment: In short, Zelus' powers are effective super-speed. He is able to achieve a consistent foot-speed of about 80mph, however he can push himself to far higher velocities, having been noted to have almost broken the sound barrier more than once before having to reduce speed due to the turbulence.

In truth, Zelus' powers come from the ability to manipulate kinetic force, although he does show a lot of the same secondary powers seen with some other super-speedsters, such as enhanced perception and reflexes, these can be attributed somewhat to his kinetic powers. In more detail, Zelus can 'charge' his body with large quantities of energy, enhancing almost every physical aspect of his being, however he can only do this by first generating the equivalent kinetic energy, namely by moving quickly, or making physical contact with something else that is.

Originally Edward was only able to build up his energy by running, building speed gradually and using the energy gained by doing so to enhance his foot-speed, hence generating more energy, however this was inefficient, and didn't get him very far, he would often use more energy than he could gain in doing so. He learned to circumvent this by building a set of modified roller-skates that could amplify his powers and allow him to manage his energy more efficiently. The fact that his mind operates at about three times the speed of the average human by default aided him in figuring out the what's and how's of this greatly. The skates themselves can hold a fair-sized charge of gathered energy for days, allowing him to jump straight into a high speed from standing if need be.

However even with these skates he still felt as though he was missing out on some potential, and so he had a more knowledgeable friend of his help build his mask, a small computer contained inside a durable ceramic shell. The lens on the right eye allows Zelus to monitor his energy levels, as well as estimate the kinetic energy of notable things around him, such as fast-moving cars, or even bullets (as he found to some great delight), and thus make use of these things to keep his store of energy at it's peak.

Using these two tools in tandem, he has been able to make exceptional use of his powers, reaching speeds he had never even thought possible before. Having reached Mach-1, and nearly breaking the speed barrier, he now has a new target, and is currently looking for ways in which to push himself past his current limitations.

It is certainly worth noting that Zelus doesn't store the energy he had gathered within his body, instead he somehow stores it in a pervading black mist that permeates from his body. Not even he knows why this happens, however he speculates that if it didn't, then he would probably overload and explode. He does however like to play the dramatic card, forcing the mist to form from his breath when facing down a villain/victim. This mist will simply burn away when its energy is reabsorbed by Zelus, and functions as something of a barrier, creating a frictionless buffer between Zelus and the world around him while moving at high-speeds, and protecting him, for the most part, from the other hazards that come from moving at the incredible speeds that he can manage.

Of course, he can also use gathered energy to other ends, such as increasing his physical strength temporarily, or even focussing the mist into a solid shell or projectile, however he dislikes using these 'sub-abilities', as they strike him as far too inefficient.

Creation story: Edward was always an inquisitive youth, infact he was suspected to have been a potential super from the get-go, his mind always racing, always thinking, always bored. From the age of eleven his latent 'powers' started to manifest, the world around him started dragging, seemingly dependant on his mood, a film could take hours, days or even weeks to finish for him, and to his horror his body was always so slow to respond. Everything, himself included, sometimes seemed utterly frozen in time.

If things had been left alone, perhaps he would have developed the super powers of a true speedster, and eventually learned to control his perceptive nightmare, however something intervened. A book, to be exact.

A thirteen year old Edward noticed the simple, grey tome at a local bookshop, locked in a glass cabinet. The clerk had said that while the pages were unreadable, it was still a precious item, and he had no inclination of selling it, however Edward couldn't help but feel drawn. He would stop over every week on his way home from school just to look at the book, and ask if the clerk had changed his mind, only to be rejected each time. Eventually the clerk offered him the chance to see inside the book, hoping that seeing the unreadable pages would give the boy some piece of mind and stop this nonsense, however upon opening the cabinet and flicking open the worn cover of the book, both child and clerk were engulfed in darkness. Everything went black.

Edward awoke the next day in his bed, as he did every morning, however something was different. Everything seemed just that bit...faster. He stood up and moved around. His body was responding quicker than ever, everything was. Sounds, sights and feelings all changed for him, as he experienced them at a rate closer to real-time than he had in two years. And then a voice rang through his head; 'Do not forget your decision. The time will come, and I will collect on my favour.'.

Of course, the boy had no idea what the voice had meant. He couldn't remember anything about that, and so it didn't bother him for long. He had started along the path that would eventually lead him to experiment with the new powers he now possessed, and would eventually choose to put to 'good' use; correcting what was wrong with the world, one bad-guy at a time.

However as Edward began his forays into the world of cape-dom, he soon saw not people committing crimes, but a plague infecting humanity. It wasn't just the knife-bearing muggers, or sly cheaters, or corrupt officials, but an affliction upon humanity itself. He began to see that it was rather a lack of challenge in people lives that had led to an acute atrophy. People were lazy, because they lacked a true threat, there was little to push them onwards towards progress. It was sad to see that civilians were content to simply hide behind a super's back, sat on a sofa watching tv, rather than even attempt to make a difference in their world. These thoughts slowly began to push him towards a single conclusion; Humanity needed a serious threat to force them into advancement.

At eighteen years of age, he decided that he would be that threat. Edward cut off his ties with his family and friends at home, simply saying that he was going back-packing around Europe, and would give them a call when he was there. He then staged his death and fled, changing his last name to distance himself from his family, and started carving a path into America, one bloody corpse at a time.

((Lemme know how this sounds to ya'll, if you don't mind the wall'o'text, as always I'm rather interested in feedback about my characters :p and don't hold back if ya reckon something needs changing. Also, if you're still in need of some NPCs, I've got a couple of ideas that might prove interesting.))

As someone who really enjoys contractions: It's what it's.

Also I make games sometimes!

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 15:25 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Shane's still in--my OC from earlier.

And as for Edward, he sounds like a great, solid character. Good for a Superverse.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2011, 19:36 

Cheers :3 and there we go, got a picture up ^^

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2011, 00:23 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Gah, how do you manage to be so cool with those drawings?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2011, 08:55 

XD I spent a lot of time drawing AirGear fanart, and I recently realised that Zelus is rather similar to a character called Gabishi (This dude) from the same series... I only realised just how straight a rip Zelus was while looking for an image of Gabishi XD;

Anywho, thinking on it, I reckon I learnt almost everything I know about portraying motion in drawing from doodling AirGear characters ^^; so after spending about two years or so working on it, that probably answers why 'I'm so cool with these drawings'...I still don't think I'm quite that good at it though, not nearly enough fanservice in my work >.>;

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2011, 15:21 

L Award (1)
Well, I suppose four people will do, five if I throw my own Hat in the mix. Which reminds me that I need to actually build a character for my own RP...

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 14:51 

L Award (1)
Name: "Gust"

True Name: Augustus Finch

Appearance: Augustus is a tall, but lithe man, standing a little over six foot, he has brown hair and blonde eyes. Under his costume, He is a reasonably well muscled man, as befitting a former special forces officer and current super hero.

His costume is similar to the last decades Sentinels rank and file costume, with certain alterations, including a lack of the kevlar underlay used by non unvulnerable supers, a pair of under arm fabric, and slight colouration differences, the standard Red Whites and Blues being substituted for dull greens and whites, including a green domino mask.

Personality: Augustus presents to those whom have not made the connection between his identities as being a somewhat subdued slacker, working a dead end career as a parking lot security guard. In his Super hero personality, and with people whom have made the connection to his proper identity, he is your usual Boy scout super hero, obeying the laws as much as he can while still operating as a vigilante, refraining from killing and Reducing civilian casualties to a minimum, and being a little on the "Justice will prevail" side that is a trend amongst certain heroes.

Identity: Partially open. He doesn't go about as Augustus when super heroing, but his identity has been outed in the past. ((Read history for more.))

Alignment: Cape, Formerly Gov, seen by some as an Anti-hero, due to his past.

Powers: Classification wise, Gust is a powerful aerokinetic, able to create hurricane force winds and cut buses in half with a razor wind phenomena, in addition to allowing flight in combination with his glider based suit. He achieves this by subconsciously manipulating air molecules, agitating them into movement, or stopping them from moving, though this power is less noticeable. Since the incident outlined below, Gust has only used a small fraction of his air movement abilities, not including the razor wind, but heavy ((Not hurricane level)) winds, and flight.

Creation story: The early parts of his life were bog standard up bringing, the identification of his powers leading his to join the lower level of Liberty's Sentinels. His career was seen as exemplary, rising up the ranks to the spec. ops devision. All this came to an end five years ago, when a group of terrorists captured a bus of tourists, and held up in an abandoned mining town.

Gust was the first responder, but by the time his reinforcements arrived, the only thing in a mile radius was Gust. No terrorists, no hostages, no mining town. That being the only thing known beyond a shadow of a doubt, he was charged with reckless endangerment, excessive use of force, and several thousands worth in property damage. The only reason which Augustus avoided life imprisonment was due to his former record service allowing his superiors to give him the benefit of the doubt concerning his report stating that he had witnessed the last hostage being killed by the terrorists before his actions.

There are, of course, multiple sides telling different stories:

As mentioned before, Augustus' version of the tale involves him arriving just in time to witness the final execution and the body being added to the pile of the rest of the hostage tourists. he then determined this to be a situation meriting high levels of force.

When one of the terrorists was found in the collapsed mine, he pointed the finger at Gust, claiming that the terrorists had not touched a hair on the heads of the prisoners, and had been planning to exchange them for their demands. He claimed that Gust disagreed with the demands and took matters into his own hands, at which point the terrorist fled into the mine.

The third and fourth parties are much the same, being the corporation which the mining land belonged to, and the governments which the tourist belonged to, claiming that the circumstances did not matter, and someone needed to be punished for the property damage/loss of life.

There is also a fifth group of people that believe that this was the result of a super human with powers relating to the developments in graphics technology setting up the whole situation for their own ends and that all explainations above are true.

A sixth blames it on the government for fairly flimsy reasoning.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011, 16:30 
Administrator

I like Au'gust'us. Nice and angsty, like any superhero that publishers look twice at.

So, out of curiosity, is this ever actually going to launch, or...?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011, 16:37 

L Award (1)
Sorry, I was trying to work nice and hard on not making a character depressingly over powered. I clearly failed, but aside from giving an uninteresting ability, or hampering it to near uselessness ((Ie: Hell's Labyrinth Chaz)) I can break most simple power sets.

And the rest of the week has been a touch hectic.

Bad news, this week may get a touch hectic as well, but the good news is that It'll be hectic because my other RP might get all drama-y, so a little Bronze age Comic Bookery might be a nice break.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 13:06 

I know that this is very out of the blue, but is there any way I could work on creating a character and join this rp?

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 13:24 
Administrator

Sure, go for it.
It's not as if it'll start before you're done.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 14:09 

L Award (1)
I was hoping for more people anyways. But yeah, I started this a good yeah ago. And even if I did start it, it is meant to be easy for drop in or drop out.

Formerly Avalon