All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: The (not so) Dark Ages
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 19:03 

Axe saw Trasil coming and knew something was up before being protected from the exploding creature. The explosion was loud and he felt the shake of the ground. He thanked him, letting him help him to his feet gritting his teeth from the pain and nearly yelling in agony. His breathing was now a little labored and with each breath he felt it. He kept his one hand on his ribs and hoped that he could get fixed up and recover. That hit was hard, one of the hardest he had ever taken.

He chuckled at Trasil and coughed from the pain it radiated. But he was in good spirits overall and it was a good fight. He looked to Nikolai, "it's....fine, you got...one of the...creatures.....that is..help." He patted Nikolai on the shoulders while still leaning on Trasil and let him walk over to the road and told him to let him sit for a spell so that he could at least breath a little easier. He gritted his teeth again against the pain groaning this time as the pain flared up. He gingerly took off his chest armor so the weight didn't cause any more damage. He look at the dead creature, "well......that was...interesting..." He chuckled softly.

[font=Times New Roman]There are a million reasons why the universe refuses to conform to your idealistic views...I\'m one of them. -Me-[/font]

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 19:43 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
It didn't take long for it to become clear to Cateline that Axe was injured. She felt a little guilty that it was her attack that had distracted him. But she didn't brood about it for long. She knew full well that if she hadn't acted, he would have suffered far worse damage. Quickly, she dismounted and went over to him.

"Where are you hurt? Let me see," she insisted. (It was hard to believe that only a couple of days ago she wouldn't have dared to speak so freely to so high-born a man.)

She placed a hand gently but firmly against Axe's chest and let a trickle of magical energy pass through his body, allowing her to sense the internal structures beneath it. Slowly she moved it around.

"You have two broken ribs," she announced finally. "Sit still and I'll heal them."

As she had done earlier with Nikolai, she began to recite the healing spell, pushing its power through his skin and into the damaged bones beneath. This was harder to heal than Nikolai's surface wound, which she could touch directly. Internal injuries were harder to reach. But despite Axe's muscular physique, the ribs were still close to the surface; she could access them reasonably efficiently.

"There," she said eventually. "Almost as good as new."

At that moment, the heavens opened. Within moments they were deluged by torrential rain. Rivulets formed around their feet and the track they had been following quickly turned into a sea of mud.

Cateline looked down at her dress as it quickly became sodden. Muddly water splashed over her feet and around the hem.

"Looks like we're going to have a pleasant journey to Brunston," she sighed.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 21:33 

Axe felt the healing and the magic behind it. He flexed his stomach muscles and his arms and did a couple of breaths. Then he slowly got up and noticed how there was now very little pain. He personally thanked Cateline and was about to start moving when it started raining. He laughed at Cateline's comment and remarked, "Well it is just one of those days. We better get moving though. Things aren't likely to get any better.

He sheathed his axe and got onto his horse and waited for everyone else to do the same, cursing the weather and at the same time laughing at it. Yeah it definately was going to be a pleasant journey, he mused.

[font=Times New Roman]There are a million reasons why the universe refuses to conform to your idealistic views...I\'m one of them. -Me-[/font]

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2011, 00:08 

Nikolai sighed audibly, so everyone around would hear his discomfort. It was probably a habit he'd developed when he was much younger, parading through the streets demanding respect, while no one actually even knew he was an illegitimate child of the king. If he had been uncomfortable, everyone would have found out one way or another, just as he was doing now.

Usually Nikolai wouldn't mind the weather, but he felt unusually stressed. Like somehow, these people had caught him for his crimes and were transporting him to somewhere where he would rot in a prison. It wasn't possible that they knew he was a thief, but he had to wonder why Axe wouldn't have simply let him go missing in that fight. Or why there even was a fight. Two within a short time of each other, in fact. And now the blasted rain clouds were so thick, it was very much more visibly darker than it had been, even though it was still early.

In times when he needed to think, he did something with his hands. Mess with his gems, use a small spell, something along those lines, none of which he could do now, when he was trying to hide his magic. He flicked his head in annoyance, which didn't do much, since the rain was still falling. And something about the rain was terribly off, too. It just didn't feel natural to him, but it might be because he wasn't used to such spontaneous rain, and hadn't planned on too much of it. His clothes were suited for snowy weather, not rainy weather. He was cold now, almost as if he was in snow. But he knew he couldn't make a suggestion. As it was, he was their prisoner of sorts. So he'd have to suffer in silence for the time being. He sighed loudly again.

My Brute
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2011, 16:43 

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (1) Crazytown Bananapants (3)
As the Rain fell, Trasil raised his face to the sky, and let the cold rain flow over him, washing off the blood, and gore. he whistled softly, standing up so his horse could walk under him, ducking only slightly, as she picked the man up. Both man and beast seemed to grow peaceful, and serene in the rain, almost as if the rain washed the violence, and ferocity from them. the two became almost childlike, the horse splashing Trasil with her tail, whinying almost like a laugh, and the rider dragging his feet to kick mud on the beast, the two playing with each other. While he did in fact hear Nikolai's grumbling, they fell on deaf ears. Clearly, the only one who seemed even less discomforted than the pair, seemed to be Jericho, who as usual rode in silence.

-=-=Cassius is better at bending reality than I am.=-=-
-=-=And has a bigger penis than Cata, but clearly, not Piggie.=-=-
" If we weren\'t meant to eat meat, The why is Pork so fucking delicious?"

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2011, 17:08 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Cateline feared for the wellbeing of her scrolls in all this rain. Before mounting, as quickly as she could, she dragged her shawl out of one of the leather saddlebags on her horse's flanks, unpacked the single blanket bundle that she had tied behind the saddle, and stuffed the scrolls as best she could into the rather smaller, but also rather more waterproof, saddlebags.The potions, being rather better protected in their clay pots, she left where they were, and tied up the blanket again. Shivering by now in the cold and wet, she climbed into the saddle and draped the shawl around her shoulders, but it didn't help much. Soon that too was soaked, and the temperature seemed to have dropped by several degrees. She looked across at Nikolai, riding in the centre of the group. He too looked cold. And miserable. She wondered why. Was he unused to rain? Or cold? Did he dislike this situation? He had had his wound healed; she'd have thought he'd be happy. Maybe he was scared. He didn't look like much of a fighting man (if "man" was even an appropriate term - he looked barely more than a youth - though he had wielded that knife quite effectively). Or maybe he found Axe's attitude intimidating. But it was necessary: they had no idea whom they could trust. The church was likely to have spies everywhere and, even though Nikolai had accepted her magic without any sign of shock or distaste, and had spoken of seeking a magical item himself - which was totally against latest church law - they couldn't be 100% sure that it wasn't all an elaborate ruse to gain evidence to bring before the inquisition. But they couldn't force him to stay with them once they reached Brunston. You couldn't go around abducting random strangers. Somehow they would have to find some way of ascertaining whether they could trust him. Well, the more she could find out about him as they travelled, the better.

As before, she moved up alongside him, intending to engage him in conversation.

"Cheer up!" She admonished, trying to ignore her own shivering body. "A bit of rain never killed anyone."

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011, 14:17 

Nikolai looked down and drummed his fingers, briefly considering to ignore her entirely, but seeing as how the idea was to garner trust, he couldn't.
"People die in floods and landslides all the time." He shook his head in irritation. "It seems I didn't dress for rainy weather. I didn't think I'd be caught away from shelter when it would rain." And normally he wouldn't. He'd conjure something up from his surroundings, and wait until it stopped, but these people seemed to have somewhere to be, and wouldn't stop because of a little rain. "There's not much I can do about it now, though."

My Brute
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2011, 19:28 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Cateline was rather taken aback by Nikolai's retort. She'd never heard of anyone dying in a flood - except in the scriptures that the village priest had been so fond of quoting. In fact, she'd never even seen a flood. She wondered what faraway land Nikolai must have come from, where people kept dying in floods and landslides, and was rather glad she didn't live there - though that thought was somewhat countered by the attraction of living somewhere far from the inquisition - if indeed his country was outside their sphere of influence. That was something she still needed to find out. So she returned to her original focus: trying to learn more about him.

"If you don't mind me saying," she began, "you do seem a little underprepared in general for your journey. Your clothes, as you just admitted, seem rather inadequate, you have almost no possessions that I can see, and you have nothing but a small knife to protect yourself with. These are dangerous times and dangerous regions. The monsters are growing in number by the day. Are you so poor that you couldn't equip yourself for your quest? If you have learnt a trade, maybe you could earn some money in Brunston."

Cateline paused, wistfully.

"I had a good trade until it was outlawed by the church a few days ago."

Then, more brightly, she continued: "But Axe was my salvation. I would never have been able to support myself once I lost my livelihood, but Axe invited me to join him on his quest."

She knew that if Nikolai were a church spy he would know exactly what she was referring to, but she hadn't admitted to anything more incriminating than he had already witnessed. And letting slip a little information about herself might encourage him to open up a bit more too.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2011, 23:14 

His finger drumming paused momentarily. A trade? Outlawed by the Church? He knew there were a few things the Church wasn't fond up, namely worshipers of the darkness. He glanced sideways at Cateline. She couldn't be. He might have been in a lot more trouble than he previously thought. For a brief second he thought he might take his chances with the creature from before, but quickly decided against it.

He'd have to word his question carefully. "Maybe," he said. "I don't know enough about what exactly is happening in this area," He rain a hand in agitation through his soaking hair. Pity was not something he wanted. "But what could one person do that the Church would outlaw?"

There's no way worshiping any kind of darkness could be considered a good, or lucrative trade. And why would a person who looked as respectable as Axe want to rescue someone who was doing something so dangerous?

Perhaps her gift with magic had been the product of something entirely different than what he previously decided, which meant he was in a lot of trouble.

"There isn't much that I can imagine, but again, it might be because I'm not from around here. The winters are generally colder, and the summers are especially brutal." He laughed humorlessly. "You might say that the weather is a bit extreme."

My Brute
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011, 07:57 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"But it doesn't rain as much, I guess."

Cateline let out a short, slightly sarcastic laugh, looking at both the rain-soaked foreigner beside her and her own sodden clothes. She was scarcely one to be talking about being ill-equipped: her own wardrobe amounted to a couple of gowns and undergarments, a shawl, a pair of wooden clogs (rarely worn, because they were expensive to replace) and a blanket. They weren't merely all that she had brought with her, but all that she owned. Her magic stall had been a good trade in the context of her village: she made enough from selling herbal potions to the villagers and magic to travellers passing through to fill her belly, replace the occasional broken pot or pan, and buy enough wool to replace clothes once they became too worn to be serviceable, and that was as good as anyone could expect, and better than the local serfs fared, if the harvest was bad, but she had never anticipated ever having to equip herself to go travelling. And this rain - even for a land that saw its fair share of it, it was exceptional. And unusually cold.

She turned her thoughts from the weather to Nikolai's other remark. Did he truly not know what the church had recently outlawed? Admittedly, the announcement had only been made a couple of days previously, and it might take time for it to filter through to the whole population, especially the illiterate masses who would be unable to read the proclamation that, by now, would be pinned to every church door in the country. But the priests would be busy preaching about the evils of magic to all the faithful as they came to church for mass. By the end of the week, everyone would have heard.

"My trade," she elaborated, after some consideration, "was what you witnessed back there when we were attacked by those creatures. I sold magic for the healing and protection of travellers, and for fighting men to use in battle. Since you're not from here, maybe you haven't heard, but the church has decided it's too dangerous for the souls of common people. Only their specially chosen representatives are to be allowed to use magic from now on."

She watched Nikolai closely as she uttered these words, looking for some sign of reaction, some glint of eagerness that might hint at a church supporter collecting evidence to take back to the inquisition. But there was none, or at least, no expression that implied those thought processes.

"I would like to think," she went on, "that my 'misdemeanours' in our last encounter would be viewed with lenience on the grounds that, without my intervention, some or all of us might very well be dead. But somehow I suspect that the church would rather we sacrificed the earthly body than risked the soul."

Now that was a risky thing to say to a stranger, Cateline acknowledged to herself. If her acknowledgement of her former trade (albeit now abandonned) wasn't enough to elicit a response, that implied criticism of the church and recognition of the fact that she had used magic in the battle, in the full knowledge that it was now banned, certainly would be. How would he respond?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 14:32 

Axe felt the tremors more than heard them, they had been building up for some time. He looked around for a possible cause when right in front of them and was about to tell the others to look out before the ground exploded with a burst from a very long worm like creature that came out of it. The maw of the creature was a gaping hole of teeth which met in the middle. Behind that it seemed hollow. He instantly recognized it. Damn, here too?! This thing had been hounding him since Hobart about two weeks ago.

He looked around on it and found the marks from where he was able to slash it but didn't cause too much damage, though it did anger it. He was surprised, after what he did to it, that it was able to find him back. He couldn't kill it, but he did knock it out by felling a tree onto it. The roar it had was loud. His horse reared up and Axe had to quickly reign it in. The creature was 16 feet around and nearly 200 feet long. Just now it was towering 70 feet above them.

He had just enough time to stop the horse before the creature unleashed two dark energy beams, from its maw, that created a 'V' trench in the earth only a fraction of a second before the ground exploded in a wall like formation from those trenches 40 feet into the air following the beams themselves. The super heated air exploded in a shriek when the beams spewed. The wind from them was incredible. Both beams having went to either side of him and missing him be 3 feet.

Oh shit...now we are in trouble...... was his only thought.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 19:18 

Nikolai laughed, really laughed. He'd be surprised if those around him didn't find it shocking, because he did. "I suppose this Church is really as corrupt as people said it was." He personally hadn't believed it, but there was living proof. The Church had outlawed magic. Which was ridiculous. If any of the mages in the Church could even use magic well enough to warrant attention, then they would know, too. Any mage worth his salt could use magic, and no one would ever know. "Though, I don't-"

He paused. He'd reflexively stopped his horse, apparently, even he forgot he'd been watching Axe closely. Which made him wonder why he hadn't seen it. Nikolai had seen the creature before, though he forgot what it was called, in a book detailing truly horrid creatures which humans should avoid at all costs (he wondered how humans had managed to write it).

After the creature launched the attack, the molten earth about to rain on them was what Nikolai focused on. Before he could think to do anything, he found himself chanting. Raising his hand, an explosion of compacted air flew forth, diverting the earth away from the group.

He'd blown his cover, but for now he wasn't going to worry about that. For now he all he wanted to know was earth would they deal with this thing?

My Brute
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 13:04 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
((OoC: This is intended to be a longwinded battle. Nathan and I have worked out some storyline aspects dependent on it. Attack the monster however you like, but please don't kill it. :p.))

As Cateline was speaking to Nikolai she became aware that her normally placid horse was becoming slightly jittery. Instead of plodding along quietly, she was jogging on the spot and trying to break into a trot, and Cateline was having to hold her back. And her ears were swivelling in all directions, as though trying to locate a sound. Initially, Cateline thought little of it. She was used to Axe's horse being quite spirited and it didn't seem strange that his mount's behaviour might start to influence that of her own. Besides, she getting was used to being in the saddle now, and having to hold her horse back a little wasn't beyond her capabilities (not to mention that her concerns about how Nikolai might react to what she was saying were currently uppermost in her mind). But by the time Nikolai responded, she was beginning to fancy she could also sense something to be jittery about. Her look of consternation wasn't caused by Nikolai's uncharacteristic laughter; it was because the ground seemed to be shaking. An earthquake? She had heard tales of such things, but had never experienced one.

She was only half listening as Nikolai spoke of the church's corruption. She heard him start to say something else...

The ground ahead of them exploded. Through the cascade of mud, twigs and shattered stone a monstrosity burst forth. The creatures they had so recently destroyed - even the large one - paled into insignificance against the proportions of this one. But she barely had time even to register it. Before she was able to react, her horse reared up in panic, spun round on its heels, instantly unseating her and depositing her unceremoniously in the mud, and set off at a flat out gallop back the way they had come.

Cateline, shocked but unhurt, scrambled to sit up, desperately looking around to see where her staff was. It had fallen from her grasp as she was thrown. She spotted it in a cluster of brambles just out of reach. However, before she could move to grab it the monster unleashed some form of attack the like of which she had never seen. It was like two blasts of immensely powerful magic - except that she knew magic involved sophisticated mental skills that took years to master. No animal would be capable of such a feat. But there was no time to contemplate it: the superheated ground sprayed up a fountain of molten droplets and hissing steam high into the air, which would envelop them all within seconds. Instinctively she shrank in on herself and covered her head with her hands - there would be no time to recite a spell or to reach and aim her staff. She awaited the agonising burning of the superheated rain on her skin.

Except it didn't come. She looked up to see Nikolai, hand raised, clearly creating a current that directed the shower beyond the range of the group. In astonishment and gratitude, she propelled herself into the undergrowth where her staff lay, grabbed it, and concealed herself from the creature's direct line of site behind a tree.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 13:28 

Axe had to stop the horse from falling into the molten trenches created from the beams. He pulled the reigns around to see where everyone was and noticed with dismay that Cateline didn't have her horse. He better make a break to save her before another attack hit. He spurred his horse to great speed towards her and had only barely noticed that Nikolai had redirected the spewing lava....Well now it looks like the bloke was hiding something....He didn't have the time to worry about it though.

Just then he heard the powering up of another beam attack. Shit!! Come on hurry! He proceeded with all speed and galloped towards Cateline. Just as he got there the beam was unleashed. He bent really low on the saddle and grabbed her arm and lifted her up just as the beam of energy shot past his left side not one foot away from him. He veered the horse sharply to the right and pulled Cateline up onto his saddle. The wall formation happened again this time faster and about 15 feet higher, which means it must have had a more powerful beam. He brought the horse to a stop and struggled to keep the frantic horse from going nuts. Oh hell no! He thought as he watched the carnage of the earth. We are in some deep shit now.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 20:26 

Nikolai's eyes, alive with thought, examined the full length of the creature (at least what was visible of it). His mind raced. What had that book said about dealing with it? He brought his horse to a full gallop to his right, trying to get out of range of its next attack. It fired its attack again, Nikolai was sure it was some type of magic now, towards Axe and Cateline over to his left.

If he had been riding one of his own horses, now would have been the time to release it back into a gem, so he would be able maneuver on his own. It was probably more than four times his height around, and from what he could see, more than ten or eleven times taller than him, but of course he was looking into the rain to see it, and it could possibly be much larger.

He turned around when he was a good distance away from it, probably close enough for it to launch an attack on him, and maybe too far for him to attack back. His horse was frantic, and Nikolai wasn't sure it was the best idea to dismount. Fire would be ineffective in the rain, and he'd read lightning had a good tendency to back fire when the user was sopping wet. That didn't leave him with too many options.

He remembered what the book had said when dealing with the creature. "Run, at all costs."

My Brute
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 11:03 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"Thank you!" Cateline shouted into Axe's ear over the din of the rushing wind and the hail of lava, once she had managed to overcome the clinging folds of her rain and mud-soaked gown around her legs, and finally struggled into a halfway stable position behind the saddle. She grabbed hold of the back of Axe's belt to keep herself steady and attempted to slow her breathing. That last attack had come dangerously close to taking out both of them - she had been shielded from a direct hit by Axe's steed but, if it had found its target, she would have been crushed by the falling horse.

"What do we do now now?" she asked. It had not escaped her attention that so far no-one had attempted to fight back. "It's gone for you twice. Anyone'd think it had a grudge against you."

It suddenly occurred to her that if this thing really was targetting Axe, the back of his horse might not be the safest place to be.

"Do we stand a chance if we try to take it on? I'd be in favour of getting out of here, but I have serious doubts about our chances of outrunning it."

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 11:33 

Axe still staring at the worm creature gave her a welcome. Axe risked a looked to her, "I'm afraid that is exactly why it is here. Two weeks ago in Hobart I fought this thing to a standstill, then by some stroke of luck I got it to where it was near a very large tree, and felled it on it to kill it.... or at least try, as you can see-" he indicated the worm "-I didn't succeed. It's been after me ever since."

He watched the thing slam its tail on the ground causing minor tremors. "I know what you are thinking, but you are quite safe here and the horse can outrun the beams since it can only fire them straight in any direction. And unfortunately...we can't outrun it. We can injure it, though, but it will take all of us to do it. This thing isn't invincible and normal attacks can be felt, just don't expect the thing to sit still and allow you to hit it. Magic works, but it may not have the effect you're intending." He looked around to see if there was anyone near them. "We are gonna need help."

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 11:45 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
"You fought it to a standstill!?" She looked up at the gargantuan beast towering above them and imagined the lone figure of Axe, like an insect in comparison, lunging at it with his weapon. It seemed almost unbelievable that he could have made any impression on it at all. Still...

"Well, if you managed to inflict damage on it by yourself, then with five of us working together, we should be able to defeat it, despite its size. Let's get rid of it before it gets rid of us!"

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 16:02 

Axe looked at her with a chagrined expression, "yeah you would think so.." He had to yell the last couple of words as the beast before them let out a tremendous roar that literally shook the earth. "Well we ain't getting anything done staring at it." He drew his axe with a slow deliberate motion and let it sit at a 45 degree angle to the the ground. "Wrap your hands around my waist!" He turn his horse and after making sure Cateline was on the saddle correctly and had her arms around him secured...he spurred his horse and yelled back to her, "hang on!"

He made a direct beeline to the worm jumping over any trenches that were in his path and heading straight towards it at a fast speed. He could see the thing filling his vision as he got closer and closer. When he was right next to it, he raised his axe really fast and with a half polo like swing, he sliced into the worm's thick skin and cut a line about 6 feet long as he charged past. He could feel the axe bite into the skin but noticed it didn't go in very far despite how close he was to it when he swung. He narrowly avoided the sudden jerk of the creature and veered off to his left to miss slamming into the wall of the body as it had moved to try to knock him off. The roar was painfully loud this time and the earth shook doubly hard as it slammed the earth with its body and roared in sudden pain. He ducked underneath the next raise of the body and veered off just in time before it cut his path off. He made a wide circle back to where he started and saw the freshly made gash.

This time tho the creature created a huge ball of energy about 18 feet across and launched it straight into the the ground between him and it creating a 20 foot wide crater that launched a shockwave that radiated outward for about another 20 feet and launching dirt and mud 70 feet into the air in a 30 foot arc. When the earth settled and the quake stopped the crater was 40 feet deep. The feat took less than 10 seconds to make. Axe knew then he had truly pissed it off. "Great....." he groaned in frustration, "another damned obstacle."

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 02:39 

From somewhere behind Axe and Cateline, the singing began. Trazil had taken to moment to observe the giant creature, and had determined that the safest place to currently fight the thing, was on top of it. Leaning in to whisper in his horse's ear, the pair suddenly shot forward, in a loping arc, vanishing a moment behind the Behemoth. Suddenly Vladi shot away, riderless, as the best started to squeal, and wriggle. It twisted around, reveling a climbing Trasil, using a pair of daggers to to work his way up....

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 12:58 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Great....." Cateline heard Axe compain, "another damned obstacle."

"This is where I come in," she declared. "Long-range is my speciality!"

She raised her staff, but paused to consider the options. Although she knew a total of five elemental spells by heart, her staff could only support four spells in total, which, with the essential healing spell, had left space for only three with which she could attack: fire, lightning and wind. Attacking a thing of that size and power without the magnifying effect of the staff would be futile (not to mention slow - none of the spells were exactly quick to recite).So which should she use? Fire's effect would be reduced in the rain. Lightning would be easily the most powerful in these conditions with the creature dripping with water as it was. But it would also require a tremedous feat of concentration to focus it tightly enough to avoid it being conducted back into herself through the water soaking both her and the staff. In this situation, with so many distractions, it would probably be downright dangerous, especially as she'd never tried such a feat before. That left wind. But not even a tornado would be capable of moving that creature. Unless... she looked around to see what rather less well-secured features there were in their immediate environment.

That was when she spotted movement on the creature's back. Apparently Trasil had made use of the time while its attention was focussed on Axe to get round behind it before it blocked their path with a crater. And now he was ascending the monster's rearing body, stabbing it with a pair of daggers as he went!

Go, Trasil! she thought, but she doubted his blades on their own would make much impression, given that Axe's massive gash had done nothing other than enrage it. He could probably use some backup.

Quickly she turned back to Axe and yelled, "Can you get round behind that tree - that one there that's been partially uprooted by the crater - and put it between us and the worm? A falling tree may not have been enough to kill it, but let's try one hurled by a whirlwind!"

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 13:58 

Axe looked to the tree and then to the creature "well if you have a plan for that tree I can oblige ya." He swung his horse to the tree and went around behind it.

He was surprised the creature hadn't tried attacking him yet, when he noticed where Trasil was... Damn he is crazy! He didn't have time to spare though he got himself set up and hoped Cateline had something big planned. That thing wont be distracted for long. "Whatever you are going to do, I suggest you do it, otherwise we may be in for a lot harder fight."

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 20:07 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Cateline knew this wasn't going to be easy. She had to create a wind strong enough and accurate enough to catch the tree and slam it into the creature with the maximum force, while avoiding Trasil on its back. Pointing the staff towards the tree, she invoked the spell. Instantly an intensly tightly focussed tornado sprang up, apparently from nowhere, a few feet in front of them, ripping at the undergrowth, and creating a whirling vortex of high-speed plant fragments. The phenomenon hovered there for a couple of seconds before Cateline released it and sent it straight through the tree in the direction of the worm.

"Trasil, hold tight!" she yelled as loudly as she could as the tree was swept up like a piece of straw in a breeze. In next to no time the tree, now whirling at great speed, was slammed into the side of the creature's head. In slow motion the monster capsized and crashed to the ground. Simultaneously the tornado dissipated, the tree came to rest nearby and the other debris dropped around.

"Yes!" Cateline exclaimed in excitement, but immediately stopped in consternation. Where was Trasil? Was he ok? She had aimed the strike to avoid the worm falling on top of him, but she couldn't see him behind its enormous bulk.

However, almost immediately her concerns about Trasil were overshadowed: the felled creature twitched. And then writhed. And then rose into the air once again. Dark liquid - presumably its blood - dripped from the vicinity of an eye, but otherwise it appeared completely unharmed. The force of the impact had barely even stunned it.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 20:37 

Scarcely having time to react when the tree slammed into the beast. Trasil somehow managed to avoid being crushed when it slammed, being thrown a good 40 feet or so away. He landed heavily on his back, in a heap. after a few seconds, he stood, slowly, the blood already dripping from his hand, calling forth his spear. His hair wild, and clinging to his face, his eyes blazing. Pausing a moment, he seemed to jab one of his black balls onto the point of his spear, before facing the beast. With a wild, trilling cry, he charged the thing, Striking it low to the ground, driving the spear deeply. He gripped the shaft, as a fount of crimson blasted it free, leaving a deep wound in the beast. It shook, and started to focus a blast at Trasil, but when it unleashed it, He had leaped back onto it, scaling it by stabbing it to the crossblades...

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 22:14 

"Well done, Cateline!" Axe surveyed the battle so far and despite what they were doing, it didn't look like they were winning this one. He barely caught the yell and charge of Trasil as he saw him do something on the end of his spear and penetrate the skin, then a force of pressure and a fountain of blood raining everywhere. "Well damn, now that did something to it. But as he looked the creature unleashed another blast seemingly at random and realized it was angered at Trasil. He saw Trasil vanish but wasn't sure if the blast caught him or not. He'd have to worry about that later.

He told Cateline to hang on, and waited for her to do so. Then charged it again heading for the deep wound to try to open it up more. As he got nearer to it, he did an old axe twirl and slammed it into the hole the spear made and pulled at it as he went past, causing a tremendous gash that connected with his earlier slash. More blood was spewing and he could tell the creature was getting frustrated. The roars were taking on more of a shriek. The wounds suffered so far weren't enough to bring it down just yet, but it was a start. He and the horse galloped past again and circled back around to once again face the creature.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next