All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010, 22:34 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
Forgotten Realms, Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Online Campaign:
ECHOES OF THE GOBLIN WAR

1.0 Introduction:
DR 1372
The forested kingdom of Cormyr is in chaos. Led by the vengeful Elf-Dragon Nalavarauthatoryl, hordes of goblins, orcs and even greater monstrosities laid waste to the formerly peaceful kingdom. The defeat of this invading army came at a great price; King Azoun IV is dead, as are countless other great lords, ladies and soldiers. Much of the kingdom is in ruins and the remnants of the great houses scramble to restore a semblance of order to the broken lands. From the battered capital of Suzail, Princess Alusair the eldest of the remnants of the royal house of Obarskyr rules as the Steel Regent, dispatching the depleted ranks of the illustrious Purple Dragons and swarms of freelance adventurers to restore peace and drive out the stragglers of the invading monstrous horde through any means possible.

On the border between Cormyr and the Dalelands lies the small village of Coldbrook. Previously a bustling centre of local trade, the turmoil of war has left it quiet. Though far away from the path of the invading armies, no merchants visit the market, half the houses lay deserted and only a few dozen stragglers remain, ekeing out a desperate existence, hoping against hope that help is on it's way and that things could eventually return to what they were like before.

Recently, Coldbrook's problems have only gotten worse. Cattle have been found slaughtered, fields have been burned, and frightened shepherds tell stories of dark shadows in the forest. Frightened and desperate pleas for assistance have been sent to the local garrison, begging for assistance. None has been sent; none can be spared. The leaders of Coldbrook are at their wits' end, and calls have been heard to abandon the village completely.

None of this mattered to you of course. You a traveller, a professional adventurer who has come to Cormyr seeking adventure, or to forward the agenda of your hidden master, or perhaps to win the riches and a plot of the land that the Regent is known to give to those who gain her favour. Coldbrook was just another town to you, with a few extra houses left abandoned, the villagers looking a little more nervous than usual. This probably meant nothing to you; such sights are common in Cormyr, and one village's problems mattered little to you. Coldbrook was merely a topping point on your journey; a rough tavern, a spartan inn room, maybe a comely wench or good looking farmboy to make your stay a little more tolerable. When you settled down to sleep, you have full intentions of continuing your journey...

That was, until you awoke facing the spearpoints of the village militia. They have herded you into the stone cellar of the inn, along with several others, who similarly appear to be adventurers. All were similarly captured over the course of the last few days. Over the next two days, a few more are thrown in with you. You and the others are treated well enough; the food is regular, and similar to the fare served in the tavern above, the guards even take requests for drink. No beds, but the blankets and pillows handed out were comfortable enough and the guards are polite and fully respect your privacy. You could almost consider yourself a guest, were it not for the fact that the guards have made it clear that under no circumstances would attempts to escape be tolerated.

It is at this unlikely point which our story beings...

2.0 Character Creation:
I realize that some of you are more experienced with D&D 3.5 and the Forgotten Realms setting than others. Therefore, I will offer TWO options for character generation. Those who have not played D7D before and do not wish to go through the hassle of creating a character may ask me to pre-generate a character for them after giving me some basic info. Those who are more epxerienced may choose to fill out a character sheet themselves.

2.1 Option One: Pre-Generated Character
Fill out the following template, and I will generate a character for you to the best of my ability. Note that I have more experience playing Sorcerers and Fighters than any other class, and thus are more versed in their abilities.

2.11 Template:
Name:
Role:
Race: (Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Dwarf etc)
Weapon of Choice: (Sword, Polearm,
Alignment: (Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic + Good/Neutral/Evil)
Physical Description: (Include age, height, build etc)
Biography (May help me decide feats and skills, optional)

2.2 Option Two: Self-Generated Character
You can also choose to generate your own character if you have the necessary experience and time to do so. I highly suggest that you do so via Mythweavers, an online service which I use to generate my characters for all D&D games both online and offline. Alternatively, you can also download Redblade, a character generation utility, then transfer the information to Mythweavers. All characters must be 28 points (using standard point-buy rules). Only SRD classes, races and feats will be allowed. When finished, post a link to your Mythweavers sheet on this thread.

3.0 House Rules:
At this point, I would like to put down some house rules. House rules are a basic code of conduct for all players as well as a series of rules which only apply to this campaign and are not included in any formal rules. They are to be followed at all times.

Rule One: The DM is always right.
-Do not correct the DM (me), do not argue with the DM, if you find contradictions between the DM and anything that isn't based on the SRD, then the DM is right. The DM may use something called a "DM fiat". A DM fiat is not to be disputed, doing so may result in more drastic fiats, up to and including the imfamous "rocks fall, everyone dies."

Rule Two: Declare your OOC.
Unless you have tagged a certain part of your post to be OOC (Out of Character), the setting and NPCs will act as if you had said whatever you did in character. Failure to follow this rule may result in hilarity.

Rule Three: Post on Time.
I would very much prefer that you do not hold up the rest of the group because of your own laziness. If you genuinely have problems keeping up or have real life problems that will force you to go without posting for a week or more, then please designate a replacement until your return. Those who do not post within a week of being prompted to will not gain any experience or loot until they return. Those who do not post for more than three weeks will be ignominiously and unceremoniously replaced. I will also remember EXACTLY who you are in regards to future RPs which I may run.

Rule Four: Formatting in General.
Normal actions should be in plain text. Speech should be within quotation ("") marks. Thoughts should be in italics. If you want to make my life considerably easier, consider writing any spells being cast, attacks, or anything impportant you want me to take notice of in bold, though doing so is completely optional.

Rule Five: Disallowed Alignments.
When creating your character, keep in mind that the following alignments are NOT allowed: Chaotic Evil, Chaotic Neutral and Neutral Evil. Lawful Evil characters will be decided on a case-to-case basis.

Rule Zero: "No, that's Stupid."
Although a certain level of optimization is welcome from more experienced players, please do not powergame outrageously. I will veto any character which is quite obviously broken and any action which is quite obviously ridiculous. You are welcome to Min-Max, but do not come crying to me when I declare your INT 5 Fighter to be incapable of forming complete sentences.

The party will consist of a maximum of Four members. We'll start whenever we get a full group. If more than four people apply, then I will prioritize based on experience (newbies over experienced D&D players), posting activity (active posters over inactive ones) and general maturity, (if you act like a five-year old, then you aren't going to be tall enough to ride the awesomecoaster).

Anybody who needs help learning how to play D&D can PM me or reply in this thread, I'll post some tutorials if needed.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2010, 19:57 

Questions:

How often would you prefer we could post? I don't think I'd have any trouble posting once or twice a week, but I don't know how often I could post on average.

Are the d20 psionics OK? With or without reflavoring? One of the classes I'm interested in playing is a psychic warrior, because I'm not sure I want to deal with the complication of a full-blown caster, but I don't think I want to play something as simple as a fighter. Psychic warrior and bard seem like good compromises, but I'd prefer the more frontline psychic warrior.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2010, 20:43 
Veteran

Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
I'd rather not deal with psionics, but I'll let them in as long as you don't completely break the game with them.

As for posting, once or twice a week is fine, as long as it's steady.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2010, 23:27 

Medals: 1
Commer of the Year (1)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=251885

Ta-da!

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2010, 03:19 

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=252321

This is my character sheet so far.

EDIT: Also, I need help with the most difficult part of making a character...

Selecting a name.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2010, 05:10 
Veteran

Very nice so far, both of you.

You don't have to worry about the weight of your adventuring gear, keeping track of all of it can be a pain in the ass, and I usually don't deal with it.
As for the name, I've found that [Coolname] [Noun][Verb] works well.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2010, 03:21 

K, got a name. Shinon Swiftstaff. Ok, I guess Swiftstaff isn't technically part of the name. It's just an awesome/silly title. Damn, that took me a while.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 00:56 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Are we still doing this? I can play a cleric if you want.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 00:59 

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (1) Crazytown Bananapants (3)
is there still an opening?

-=-=Cassius is better at bending reality than I am.=-=-
-=-=And has a bigger penis than Cata, but clearly, not Piggie.=-=-
" If we weren\'t meant to eat meat, The why is Pork so fucking delicious?"

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 01:07 
Veteran

Crystal: Dear Gods Yes. A cleric would be much appreciated... This lot will need one.

Piggie: There are still 1-3 slots open, yes.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 01:11 

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (1) Crazytown Bananapants (3)
I am looking at magic user. also where do find those neat character sheets?

-=-=Cassius is better at bending reality than I am.=-=-
-=-=And has a bigger penis than Cata, but clearly, not Piggie.=-=-
" If we weren\'t meant to eat meat, The why is Pork so fucking delicious?"

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 01:54 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Okay, since I suck at this character-making business (just ask my boyfriend), here's my sheet:

Name: Alastrine
Role: Cloistered Cleric
Race: Human
Weapon of Choice: Whatever clerics use
Alignment: Lawful Good
Physical Description: Age 20, 5'6", 140lbs. Somewhat stocky build. Dark brown hair that goes down between her shoulder blades. Blue-green eyes. Ivory skin.
Biography: Alastrine's name means "defends mankind." Sheltered upbringing, naive nature, etc. She's always had a soft spot for children and nature, especially cats. If you need more information lemme know.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2010, 18:37 

I made Crystal's Character sheet. You can find it here. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=263406

Crystal, if you make a mythweaver's account I can add you as a user so you can update the sheet too.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2010, 16:29 
Root Administrator

Registered. Three guesses as to what my username is!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2010, 21:23 

Crystal Shards?

Crystal_Shards?

Xx_hawtcR1STaL_xX?

Edit: BTW Crystal, changed one of your domains from protection to travel. I originally chose protection based upon your character description, but Protection didn't really well... do anything. And travel makes survival a class skill, which is a skill I know you were interested in. And gives lots of awesome benefits. Like the ability to escape grapples and awesome mobility. And utility that will eventually be awesome like flying and teleportation and such.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 11:30 
Root Administrator

Sounds good to meeeeeeeeeeeee.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 11:35 
Veteran

And btw: yes, this is still happening... just after I get over the whole getting-sick-twice-in-the-same-number-of-weeks thing...

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 11:37 
Root Administrator

It's okay. This week we're doing an HIV awareness thing and I'm not getting much help from my group so far so I'm probably going to be busy this week. Next week should be fine though.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 23:02 

Cool. I'm down for next week too.

PostPosted: 27 May 2011, 18:28 
Root Administrator

Are we still interested in this or did I miss it in the hubub of graduating?

PostPosted: 29 May 2011, 15:18 

You didn't miss it.

I am still interested, but I don't know what Cataphrak's doing now.

PostPosted: 29 May 2011, 22:58 
Veteran

Lots and lots of things. I have to put this on hold until everything's been sorted out.