All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Fred Phelps is dead.
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 22:10 

Medals: 2
Best Staffer (1) Best Traditional Artist (1)
A few notable accomplishments of Fred Phelps and his hate mongering church:

-Gained fame by protesting homosexuality at military funerals.

-sent Sudam Hussein letters, thanking him of his conduct, even traveling(not sure if he traveled, or just members of his church) to Iraq to protest homosexuality and Hillary Clinton back before it was cool to protest Hillary Clinton.

-led various campaigns against homosexuals in his community, claiming that they were attempting to rape the children of the area.

-Was, surprisingly, a civil rights lawyer who fought for black rights in discrimination cases.

-Was, also surprisingly, a supporter of the democratic party, though he always hated the Clinton's because they like gay people. He even ran several times, each time losing by more than the last(I am assuming because he became more and more known for his anti gay mentality).

And now, he is dead.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Fred Phelps is dead.
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 22:52 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
My thoughts can be summed up in three words: It's about time.

Though I will also add that unfortunately this doesn't mean anything to the church. They excommunicated him back in August, apparently, so.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 23:09 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Apparently, at least according to Wikipedia, one of the Targets of his Hatred was, of all People, Fred Rogers, who was, I suppose, his polar Opposite. That does, however (along with the other Things contained in the Article), make me wonder if he were not suffering some Form of Dementia, though that strikes me as unlikely, and would not make his Actions any better. His Sect apparently does not have any Kind of funerial Practice, so it looks as if he might go quite literally unmourned.

As for his Church, it will hopefully fade quietly into Obscurity, but that might be too gracious of it. A 'Church' without Grace is an amusing Irony.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 10:34 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
As much as I like the idea of being opposed to Mr. Rogers being a sure sign of insanity, I'm inclined to doubt it. You can be crazy without being mentally ill, if that makes any sense.

We were actually talking about the WBC in one of my classes, so this whole thing turned out to be a little eerily relevant. We had a long conversation about what the appropriate response was, whether forgiveness should still be extended to him, etc. My general feeling is that while I wouldn't feel comfortable making a celebration out of his or anyone's death, I also don't feel obligated to feel any degree of sympathy for him, or to extend more respect towards him now that he's dead than I would have while he was alive. He was a hypocritical spiteful slimy jackass who used the laws and rights of his country as a bludgeon against anyone he wanted to, and he got away with it. His 'church' indoctrinated children, caused untold grief and pain to millions of people, and deliberately structured their actions in such a way as to milk huge amounts of money out of those they tormented should they make any attempt at retaliation. And then he died, in bed, after a much longer and more prosperous life than a hell of a lot of better people ever got to see. I award him no points, and may God have mercy on his soul.

While it may not officially mean anything to the WBC, I find it hard to believe this isn't going to have an effect on them. They've lost their figurehead, and the fact that they excommunicated him themselves is very telling. They're collapsing from the inside. It can only be a matter of time before they dissolve completely and, hopefully, hilariously.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 10:47 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
The Time Being wrote:
While it may not officially mean anything to the WBC, I find it hard to believe this isn't going to have an effect on them. They've lost their figurehead, and the fact that they excommunicated him themselves is very telling. They're collapsing from the inside. It can only be a matter of time before they dissolve completely and, hopefully, hilariously.

Honestly, I don't think that them excommunicating him is a sign that they are collapsing from the inside, though rumor does have it that he was excommunicated because he started advocating for more kindness (toward other members, not toward everyone else). Who knows what that means.

But they were becoming irrelevant far before that happened, and even then, Fred may be dead, but Shirley will be more than happy to take his place. (If she's even allowed to--I think men are the only ones who have any actual power in that church. Still, someone will take his place I'm sure.) It takes a really long time for hate to die off, especially when it's as (in)bred into you as it is in this church. They may fall even further into irrelevancy for most of the U.S., but the Church itself will be going on for at least another generation, is my thought. I'd love to be proven wrong, but if KKK activity is any indication, killing a figurehead or two (or in this case, letting him die off) isn't going to be enough.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel