All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 10:52 
Veteran

There is recent news coming in regarding DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) and California's Prop 8. The Supreme Court has ruled on the legality of the laws and determined them to be unconstitutional. More information can be found here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/2 ... 54811.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/ ... 6W20130626
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/2 ... 54811.html
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013 ... s/2459279/

This is quite a monumental day today.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 12:16 
Veteran

Medals: 2
Best Newcomer (1) Best RPer (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)
Yeah, this is good news indeed. However wasn't this decision limited to California only? I mean DON'T get me wrong, this is a huge step for marriage equality, but other states still have a long fight ahead of them. It's really irking me people are trying to mix religion in our government.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 12:30 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I'd say that I'm not surprised, but in all honesty, I kind of am. Not that DOMA and Prop 8 are unconstitutional, of course, but rather that they'd strike them down, considering the trouble we've had with the government in recent... times. We've gone from, "Well of course they'd do that, that's logical," to, "They did WHAT?" and back again so often I'm not really sure what's going on anymore.

Also no, if the Supreme Court rules something, it generally has federal implications even if it only strikes down something at the State level. Prop 8 was California only but DOMA was a federal thing.

But yes, great news, in my opinion. Though it must be noted that section 2 of DOMA hasn't been ruled unconstitutional. So individual states aren't required to recognize existing same-sex marriages.

Here's a "plain English" translation of the ruling: http://www.policymic.com/articles/51283 ... in-english

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 14:55 
Veteran

Medusa wrote:
I'd say that I'm not surprised, but in all honesty, I kind of am. Not that DOMA and Prop 8 are unconstitutional, of course, but rather that they'd strike them down, considering the trouble we've had with the government in recent... times. We've gone from, "Well of course they'd do that, that's logical," to, "They did WHAT?" and back again so often I'm not really sure what's going on anymore.

What's going on (or I certainly hope so) is our country is taking a turn for the better. With recent events happening (mainly the Edward Snowden fiasco) and all the shady politics going on, I've been a firm believer that our country sucks. In fact I've often daydreamed of the Free Cascadia movement actually occurring (I live in WA).

But that aside, it's certainly a breath of fresh air to see our system doing something right. I mean between this, and the wonderful Texan Senator Wendy Davis doing her 13 HOUR LONG FILIBUSTER to screw over a messed up anti-abortion bill in Texas last night, my pride as an American is starting to mend itself.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 15:38 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
If nothing else, the 'Defense of Marriage Act' is unconstitutional as Marriage and Divorce Laws are the Prerogative of the States, and, while I personally have taken no very strong Stance on the Issue of Same-Sex Marriage as a Whole, I find it odd that this was not brought up (though I certainly do believe that, since Ms. Windsor and her Wife had contracted a legally valid Marriage where it was perfectly within the Law for them to do so, the Tax Bill presented her clearly and grossly violated her Rights as stated by the Court, as her Marriage is legally valid in the State of New York). I would like to think that, if a Law is to be stricken down as Unconstitutional, the Ruling ought to contain every Way in which it is so (both violating equal Protection, and the Rights of the States to determine Laws regarding Marriage and Divorce), as this will strengthen the Ruling, thereby making challenges against it more difficult.

I feel conflicted regarding the Parts of the Law not stricken down; my own home State (North Carolina) neither performs nor recognises Same-Sex Marriage, for which I do not feel there is a very large Amount of public Support outside certain large urban Centres. The Lack of Recognition is fairly recent, and was approved after a Referendum about a Year ago, in which a large Number of People (roughly 65% of eligible Voters) did not participate (I did not myself, owing to Constraints of Time and Travel, but would have voted in the Negative), though existing Laws here already describe Marriage as between one Man and one Woman. While I respect the Right of any State not to perform them, I do not believe any one should grant Recognition to some legally valid Marriages contracted elsewhere but not to others, which does clearly contradict Laws regarding Equal Protection.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 22:18 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Kennori wrote:
But that aside, it's certainly a breath of fresh air to see our system doing something right. I mean between this, and the wonderful Texan Senator Wendy Davis doing her 13 HOUR LONG FILIBUSTER to screw over a messed up anti-abortion bill in Texas last night, my pride as an American is starting to mend itself.

It's funny you mention her considering the Texas Senate actually tried to edit the timestamp of the vote to say it didn't happen after midnight.

I'm not saying good things aren't happening... Just that there's enough shady shit going on to make me weary of any positive change.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 10:42 
Veteran

Here's more good news on how things seem to be going well in our legal system, Crystal.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 13:32 
Root Administrator

That's cool. Meanwhile, there's this.

Like I said, some cool stuff is happening and that makes me happy. But shitty things are also happening, and that stops me from saying we're moving in a positive direction overall.