All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Election 2012
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2012, 00:28 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I'm surprised this topic hasn't been made yet, given the interests of so many of our members!

So we've had a presidential debate and a vice presidential debate so far, and elections are in less than a month. Thoughts?

As far as the debates go, my thoughts are as follows:

1st Presidential: Romney. Obama didn't even show up. Moderator could have not been there and it wouldn't have made a difference.
Vice Presidential: Biden. Ryan did well, but Biden did better, at least on some questions. They tied on others. Ryan brought up good points about green jobs and Syria, but Biden correctly called him out on a lack of specificity on policies and his inability to actually name those studies he was citing. (Romney and Ryan are both really bad at that, and Obama completely failed at calling him out on it during the first debate, responding with something like, "And we have studies that say the opposite." Yeah, awesome. That's great. Next.)

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2012, 01:02 

Medals: 1
Faux Album Contest (1)
out of the 16 viable pairs of candidates (what I consider viable) I am voting for Gary Johnson. I'll be going Libertarian this year.

for a list of ALL the Presidential Candidates click here: http://www.politics1.com/p2012.htm

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2012, 19:49 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I like some of his opinions, but I can't support anyone who would end the Department of Education. It needs a reform, sure, but sorry, taking away all federal mandates is not going to be good for students in schools who prefer God to science.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2012, 22:33 

Faux Album Contest (1)
I disagree. All the DoE ever does is try to force schools into cookie cutter formulas at the neglecting of students and further education and repeatedly tried to enforce ludicrous policies like no child left behind. which only took money from schools who already couldn't afford to teach. Before the DoE we had a working system where each region would come up with custom policies regarding the education of students best suited to the needs of the schools. I used to work with those DoE jerks back when I interned with the Texas Education Region IV Technology Department. We got more done on our own using the old model to not only pass new regulations but we together managed to bring an entire district into the age of technology raising Grade Point Averages 60% across the board. All the jerks at the DoE ever did was try to keep anything from getting done because it meant less lobbying dollar for the re-elect Rick Perry Campaign. And anyone who knows Who that is knows he embezzled billions from the DoE As a Senator.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2012, 15:24 
Root Administrator

Yeah, you've made an argument for why it needs to be reformed, but not why we're better off without it. The Department of Education was started in 1980. A lot has changed about the world since then, and we do need some regulations. Given that some states (coughTexascough) have some very crazy ideas on what it is that students need to learn, we need to have some federal standards, or we're gonna have even more kids coming out not understanding evolution and thinking that Jefferson was a terrorist or something. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. What worked in 1975 (pre-DoE) is quite frankly not going to work today.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2012, 22:24 

Faux Album Contest (1)
That's actually really funny. Since the DoE Encouraged that whole mess where Texas rewrote the history books to exclude the Alamo and include the Avon lady, they legislated the removal of Native history from texts. delegated curriculum to corporations who have openly lobbied against scientifically proven historical facts in order to have them stricken from texts and major proponents of the DoE Actually goto court annually to have evolution removed permanently from all DoE supported Districts under penalty of Budget cuts. The problem with the DoE system is the same as the DEA, the DoJ and The Electoral Systems. There's too many people being put up and paid for to make the system work worth anything. And all Pre DoE Systems didn't run that way it was the cultural society that was dragging it down with twisted social views. That environment while still not ideal today HAS improved. So it IS a legitimate argument that a trial period without DoE interference can do better. IN FACT. Some districts who have rejected DoE Support and gone independent have seen dramatic upturns in GPA and graduation rates. And many of them do better using non DoE grants and 3rd party funding than many of these districts do going through DoE Policies.

Many of the people lobbying for these DoE Policies also support the interests of Private schools and Universities. Dumbing down the standards and educations at public schools to justify the rate hikes and need for further education elsewhere. Schools connections to the current DoE just like Monsanto's ties to the their VP being head of the FDA and Privatization of prisons by corporations are extremely profitable for those involved.

However. Like you said reform would be nice. for this to work all of the political systems would need an anti funding reform. to Prevent illicit outside interests from buying policies and elections. There are already committees to regulate these kind of things. same with the FED, wallstreet, private banks and superPACs but none of these committees do any damage control because they're owned and operated by the same people they are supposed to regulate.. nobody regulates the regulators. kind of like that one quote.. "Who watches the Watchmen?"

I don't mean to sound rude or anything or seem to go off on a tangent. Its just this is a passionate topic for me. I'm curious to see other views as well. ^_^

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2012, 23:26 
Root Administrator

Can you provide sources for your main points? I'd do it myself but I'm working on my thesis right now and don't have time. It's not that I don't believe you; I just like to read these things for myself. I hadn't heard the DoE supported the Texas guffaw, but then most of what I heard about was the outrage.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2012, 01:29 

Faux Album Contest (1)
[QUOTE=Crystal Shards;210492]Can you provide sources for your main points? I'd do it myself but I'm working on my thesis right now and don't have time. It's not that I don't believe you; I just like to read these things for myself. I hadn't heard the DoE supported the Texas guffaw, but then most of what I heard about was the outrage.[/QUOTE]

Well I will have to admit a slight conjecture on that I don't know it resulted that way for sure. BUT. I do know I personally dealt with 5 or 6 DoE Board members when working for my district on technology grants and they would brag to me about these changes like they were a GOOD THING.. I would of course go throw up afterwords from the overdose of idiocy. this was during the 2001 -2003 period. preceding the changes. the same period I won a community recognition award for promoting excellence in technology as accessible to school age youths. (That day was crazy. i got surprised with a photo op and a plaque.) I have a copy of the plaque picture in my old notebook here. I really ought to scan that into a digital format so I don't ruin it.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2012, 14:49 
Veteran

Odd... I don't see any of the results from the second and final debates. Does anyone know what happened?

ImageImagehttp://vdexproject.net/user.php?user=9972