All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 00:15 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html?_r=1&referrer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj8g4TnWLVw&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 04:52 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I had known he was ill (George Takei had posted on Facebook a few days previously, saying he'd been admitted to hospital with chest pains) so I knew that for someone of his age it was on the cards, but I had very much hoped the hospital had been able to alleviate the problem. Normally a celebrity dying doesn't affect me in the slightest, but I had been a fan of Star Trek since I was 12 (and had a huge crush on Spock in my teens), and Leonard Nimoy had always come across as a genuinely nice person, so I was very saddened by his death.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 12:45 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I nearly started crying when I found out, which I really wasn't expecting. Like dino said, normally celebrity news doesn't affect me one way or another, but this was Leonard Nimoy. He did a lot to fight for equal rights (including helping get Nichelle Nichols equal pay, if I remember the story correctly) and just generally seemed like a pretty great guy.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 15:46 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Yep, he did that and more. http://www.bustle.com/articles/67048-leonard-nimoys-best-feminist-moments-from-his-full-body-project-to-his-fight-for-equal-rights?utm_source=FBTraffic&utm_medium=fijifrost&utm_campaign=CMfacebook

I only relatively recently got into Star Trek, but when I did I really did. TOS in particular has been a big support in getting through college, which has not exactly been the easiest of times for me. This hit me pretty hard. I had heard about him being hospitalized, but didn't hear anything after that, and I was really focused on getting through a few incredibly busy days that it was pretty far in the back of my mind. I'd only just gotten through it all and was breathing a sigh of relief and packing to go home for break when Ethan texted me about it.

Funny really. I can't help but think about how odd it is, that we can get so sad over the deaths of people we never even came close to knowing personally. Or at least I do. I was pretty devastated when Nicolas Courtney and Lis Sladen died. The characters I knew and loved so well sure didn't go anywhere; what left were people I'd never met or talked to or knew much about, really. But there it was. I guess, maybe, when someone puts so much into a character, and gives so much back to the people who fall in love with that character and that universe, you kinda feel like you did know them in a way, because they made the effort to reach out to you even if they didn't know you either.

Anyway. Sorry. I get weird about these things sometimes...