All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2015, 21:41 

I work in your typical cube farm. Sometimes it can get dreadfully boring around the office, so I sometimes take it upon myself to do little things to lighten everyone's mood, or to make my day less dull.

I've decided that I can't be the only one that does this.

Here's an example:

On the back wall of my cube, I have a whiteboard. Typically I only use it if I have to draw up a concept, or maybe keep a task list.

The other thing I do is keep a tally in the top left corner known as "The Points." Every time someone at the office makes a verbal zinger on someone (not malicious or rude, obviously), I give them a point.

Now the office is much more fun because everyone is light-heartedly picking on one another. (The CEO of our company complains about it all the time because he thinks he should have more points.)

What sorts of things have you done to make work less dull?

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 05:04 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I work in a preschool and work there is usually so hectic that there's rarely time for spontaneous silliness. (It's hard to even manage to write up the required observations when you're constantly being bombarded by children saying 'Can you do this?', 'Can you do that?', 'He hurt me!', along with having to get up every few minutes to go and stop someone from doing something they shouldn't be doing or to comfort a crying child.) But we do have some organised hilarity on occasions - such as last week's charity pyjama day. The children all donated £1 to charity and came in their pyjamas, but they hadn't expected the staff to do it too. So there we all were during outside playtime, in the church carpark (which is our playground), alongside a busy public road, standing around in pyjamas or animal-themed onesies.

But more along the lines of your bit of fun was what I used to do back in the days when I worked as a software engineer. People sometimes used to come out with ridiculous statements or unintended double-entendres so I started keeping a quote book of all the daft things that got said. Then it somehow became a tradition that at Christmas I'd pick a selection of the best ones from the year, print them out and post them up on the outside of the cubby-hole where our team worked, for everyone else to read.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 08:42 

I have tremendous respect for anyone who can work with young children all day. I used to teach martial arts to ages 4-6, and I could barely manage a couple hours twice a week!

I like the idea of keeping everyone's quotes tucked away, though - I may have to steal that one for my own use! >:D

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 04:50 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Oh, you taught martial arts? Which art was it? I did Tae Kwon Do (ITF style) for about 8 years, and then did a bit of Wing Chun kung fu (though I'd be not much good at either of them now).

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 08:40 

Shaolin Kempo Karate - it's kind of dull as far as martial arts go, very bread-and-butter, but it's exercise. I've been doing it for about 10 years.

EDIT: I pinned this outside the conference room today.
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 15:08 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I make fun of everything. Including myself.

I'm just a super sarcastic person, generally. It seems to be appreciated, in any case. There are a few people I don't do it in front of because they take it too seriously, but yeah. Seems to lighten the mood.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 08:24 

Crystal Shards wrote:
I make fun of everything. Including myself.

Haha, nothing is sacred here either. We are always teetering playfully on the line of professionalism.

CEO walks a visitor through the office: "And here we have the Engineering department. They look a bit unwashed, but we love them anyway."

Bob (fellow engineer): "They don't let us out much anymore."

Me: "Not since the accident."

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 11:20 

Another way to make work not suck - lots of toys:

(And a cribbage board.)

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 17:26 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Liliana!

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 19:01 

Haha, yes indeed. Nobody at work has gotten all five of them. Most people get Samus and Connor, but are completely stumped at the other three. (To which I usually respond: "How do you not recognize the pain elemental?!")

These are my desk companions. They help make the office feel a little more like home. And as an added bonus, I am definitely the cool guy that all the kids remember when they visit work with their parents.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 08:16 
Veteran

I listen to podcasts. Definitely passes the time.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 22:08 
Root Administrator

I also like to listen at podcasts, though I find I can't do it at work. To and from work is helpful.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2016, 10:01 

It's refreshing to know that, even at age 26 and in a professional setting, one can still derail a meeting of the minds with a "that's what she said!", artfully placed.