All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 06:43 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I got:
the TOR Encyclopedia
a TOR novel and graphic novel
a cheese and wine gift pack
soap, hand cream and bath fizzers
a magnetic note pad
a plushie t-rex
assorted chocolate
a Japanese key ring and face flannel (with labels on them with lots of Japanese text, which I'm pretty sure was the reason for the giver choosing them XD)

I was also supposed to get this from Nic but instead Thinkgeek sent a Minecraft creeper shirt in the wrong size (despite the packaging saying it contained what he'd ordered) so he's still trying to sort that out (not surprisingly, he's had no response from them over Christmas).

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 18:28 

That shirt is awesome, so I hope the slip-up gets sorted out. :D

Anyway, I got Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Ultimate NES Remix. ^_^

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2014, 07:20 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
He's hoping they'll decide to write off the one they sent by mistake because of the cost of funding the international postage to have it returned. Then he can wear it (it's a medium men's size.) XD

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2014, 14:16 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I got a bunch of MTG cards
Like four sweaters
A makeup bag with some pretty snazzy makeup
A comfy bathrobe
Money
Two scarves, one of which has pockets for your hands that look like cat claws
A candle
A Kyoko Kirigi figure
Something from Mark that is in Chicago so I don't know what it is

These games:
God Mode
Rock of Ages
Analogue: A Hate Story
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

These:

And this, from Ryan:

And probably other stuff I can't remember right now

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 03:44 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Those items are lovely! And there are some good things in the rest of your list too.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 11:03 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
- Fancy teas
- Dill bread
- One of those picnic-type gift sets containing sausages, cheese, and crackers.
- Sonic Unleashed
- Tales of Xillia
- Money, which has converted itself into...
- Two pairs of pyjama bottoms
- An electric blanket

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 15:23 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Albert Clare wrote:
- Fancy teas
There's at least one member of my family who would approve very strongly of that. (The only reason he didn't get fancy teas as a gift was that he already has so much tea there's no more room in the kitchen cupboard for it. :P)

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 15:59 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Everyone made out like a bandit it looks like!

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 01:46 

Medals: 1
Faux Album Contest (1)
I got a box of socks with the elastic pulled out of half the ankles. A hoodie that is 4 sizes too small with FAKE POCKETS (something I despise with a passion). a mechanical pencil that is not refillable. a pen with no ink and an appliance for making hotdogs that looks like a toaster and is of no use to me whatsoever that I had hoped to return but I woke up to find it being used by a relative next morning. (le sigh). I hope my wintereenmas and birthday are better.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 06:38 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Will you be able to exchange the hoodie for something more appropriate?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 10:12 
Veteran

Avittion wrote:
I got a box of socks with the elastic pulled out of half the ankles. A hoodie that is 4 sizes too small with FAKE POCKETS (something I despise with a passion). a mechanical pencil that is not refillable. a pen with no ink...

That's all very depressing...

Avittion wrote:
and an appliance for making hotdogs that looks like a toaster and is of no use to me whatsoever that I had hoped to return but I woke up to find it being used by a relative next morning. (le sigh).

This is REALLY not all right; I should have made it VERY plainly known to that relation that, as I hadn't opened or used the device, they had no business doing it, and that they owed me because I had planned to return it because it was something I couldn't use (I actually don't eat hotdogs, either).

Avittion wrote:
I hope my wintereenmas and birthday are better.

What's Wintereenmas?

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 11:43 

Faux Album Contest (1)
Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:
I got a box of socks with the elastic pulled out of half the ankles. A hoodie that is 4 sizes too small with FAKE POCKETS (something I despise with a passion). a mechanical pencil that is not refillable. a pen with no ink...

Yes. Yes it is.

Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:
and an appliance for making hotdogs that looks like a toaster and is of no use to me whatsoever that I had hoped to return but I woke up to find it being used by a relative next morning. (le sigh).

This is REALLY not all right; I should have made it VERY plainly known to that relation that, as I hadn't opened or used the device, they had no business doing it, and that they owed me because I had planned to return it because it was something I couldn't use (I actually don't eat hotdogs, either).

I did. I was ignored.

Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:

What's Wintereenmas?

source: http://wintereenmas.webs.com/whatisit.htm
Wall of text contained in spoiler below.

Spoiler: show
SO WHAT IS WINTER-EEn-MAS REALLY?

Winter-een-mas is a holiday concieved and created by the author/illustrator of the webcomic Ctrl+Alt+Del, Tim Buckley.

Initially, I was going to write an entirely original piece on Winter-een-mas and its principles and practices, but I happened to stumble across a 2004 newspost on the Ctrl+Alt+Del website from Tim himself, explaining the holiday. I almost continued writing my own thing, but then I figured "Why change what the creator himself has written?". So without further ado, this is what Winter-een-mas is all about...

What is Winter-een-mas?

Winter-een-mas, in it's essence, is a holiday for gamers. It is a celebration of games and the gamers who play them. Video games allow us to do things, go places, see stuff that we
couldn't do in real life. They can be an escape from reality, a release after a long day, a fun activity with friends, or just an enjoyable way to pass time. They give us a lot of entertainment. So why shouldn't
they be celebrated?

And in the same spirit, gamers themselves are extraordinary people. There are millions of people world-wide that enjoy video games. Some are hardcore fanatics, some are casual gamers. But we are all part of
the same community, and it's a community to be proud of.

The Winter-een-mas season lasts all of January, with the actual holiday lasting seven days, January 25-31.

How do I celebrate Winter-een-mas?

Well, Winter-een-mas is fairly new, so there aren't a lot of traditions yet. Those will come with time. Here are some practices that I suggest:

Wish people a Happy Winter-een-mas! Some people might not know what you're talking about, so be prepared to offer a brief explanation of the holiday. Say it when you enter/exit a chat room or game server, say it
to friends and family. Even say it to strangers. Spread the word!

Show your Winter-een-mas festivity. During the holiday, wear game-related stuff. Wear gaming t-shirts. Draw gaming logo tattoos on your arms and hands. Find interesting ways to wear gaming accessories as
fashion accessories. Even dress up as your favorite game character or console, if you're so inclined.

Gift giving is not encouraged for Winter-een-mas. It could too easily detract and destroy the spirit of the holiday. If you want to exhange gifts, make them very inexpensive (under $10), or even better, handmade. A handmade card, picture, gaming console stand, etc will mean a lot more to the person receiving the gift. Winter-een-mas gift cards are available on this site and are free for you to print out and give away. And most importantly, keep it game related!

This is a big one: Write letters of praise and thanks to the developers of some of the video games that you most enjoy. These people are directly responsible for providing us with such entertaining material, and they
deserve to know that they are appreciated. If you go to the website of the developer, you should be able to find some email addresses. Write them a letter wishing them a Happy Winter-een-mas, and letting them
know how thankful you are for the work they do.

Play video games! This one should be obvious. During the Winter-een-mas holiday, make it a point to schedule some gaming time into your day, even if it's only for a little while. Play video games on each of the seven days if you can. Treat yourself to a new game in the name of Winter-een-mas, if you can afford it.

Organize Winter-een-mas LAN parties. Have some friends over for some multiplayer. Go to the arcade with some friends. Play an online game with other people. Start a server in the name of Winter-een-mas.

Be nice to your fellow gamers! I know that we're all competitive by nature, but at least for the Winter-een-mas season, try to go out of your way to be pleasant to your gaming bretheren. This doesn't mean you can't lay the smack down on some people in Call of Duty, but just keep in mind the fun spirit behind the season. Try not to let people irritate you as much. Enjoy yourself! Make sure you tell people how much you enjoyed playing a game with them.

There are many ways to celebrate Winter-een-mas. As long as you keep in mind the spirit of the holiday, feel free to come up with your own Winter-een-mas traditions. Then email me to tell me how you'll be celebrating Winter-een-mas, or send pictures. I'll share them with everyone. This is how we develop holiday traditions

Do I have to play video games to celebrate?

Of course not! Much like you don't have to be religious to enjoy christmas, you can celebrate the spirit of Winter-een-mas even if you aren't a gamer. Just wish some people a Happy Winter-een-mas and support the nature of the holiday!

I live in a place where it's summer now... when do I celebrate Winter-een-mas?

Winter-een-mas was originally created because of the bitter winter chills, but has expanded to encompass the gaming spirit. What better way to take your mind off the cold than with some video games? However, just because Ethan is dealing with winter, it doesnt mean the entire world is. But you can celebrate Winter-een-mas just like everyone else.

Well, there you have it! One thing I would like to add on the second to last question (regarding the necessity to play video games to celebrate), is that this is certainly true. You don't have to play video games to celebrate Winter-een-mas. I know of many people who have anime marathons, watch lots of Star Trek or other such things. Keep that in mind while you're planning how to celebrate Winter-een-mas in future years.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 12:44 
Veteran

Avittion wrote:
Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:

Yes. Yes it is.

*Hug*

Avittion wrote:
Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:

I did. I was ignored.

Well that relative is certainly not an asshole.
[/end sarcasm]
I think I might simply have picked something from among their presents in exchange, because that would only have been fair.

Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:

What's Wintereenmas?

Winter-een-mas is a holiday concieved and created by the author/illustrator of the webcomic Ctrl+Alt+Del, Tim Buckley.

Initially, I was going to write an entirely original piece on Winter-een-mas and its principles and practices, but I happened to stumble across a 2004 newspost on the Ctrl+Alt+Del website from Tim himself, explaining the holiday. I almost continued writing my own thing, but then I figured "Why change what the creator himself has written?". So without further ado, this is what Winter-een-mas is all about...

What is Winter-een-mas?

Winter-een-mas, in it's essence, is a holiday for gamers. It is a celebration of games and the gamers who play them. Video games allow us to do things, go places, see stuff that we
couldn't do in real life. They can be an escape from reality, a release after a long day, a fun activity with friends, or just an enjoyable way to pass time. They give us a lot of entertainment. So why shouldn't
they be celebrated?

And in the same spirit, gamers themselves are extraordinary people. There are millions of people world-wide that enjoy video games. Some are hardcore fanatics, some are casual gamers. But we are all part of

The Winter-een-mas season lasts all of January, with the actual holiday lasting seven days, January 25-31.

Well, Winter-een-mas is fairly new, so there aren't a lot of traditions yet. Those will come with time. Here are some practices that I suggest:

Wish people a Happy Winter-een-mas! Some people might not know what you're talking about, so be prepared to offer a brief explanation of the holiday. Say it when you enter/exit a chat room or game server, say it

Show your Winter-een-mas festivity. During the holiday, wear game-related stuff. Wear gaming t-shirts. Draw gaming logo tattoos on your arms and hands. Find interesting ways to wear gaming accessories as
fashion accessories. Even dress up as your favorite game character or console, if you're so inclined.

Gift giving is not encouraged for Winter-een-mas. It could too easily detract and destroy the spirit of the holiday. If you want to exhange gifts, make them very inexpensive (under $10), or even better, handmade. A handmade card, picture, gaming console stand, etc will mean a lot more to the person receiving the gift. Winter-een-mas gift cards are available on this site and are free for you to print out and give away. And most importantly, keep it game related!

This is a big one: Write letters of praise and thanks to the developers of some of the video games that you most enjoy. These people are directly responsible for providing us with such entertaining material, and they
deserve to know that they are appreciated. If you go to the website of the developer, you should be able to find some email addresses. Write them a letter wishing them a Happy Winter-een-mas, and letting them

Play video games! This one should be obvious. During the Winter-een-mas holiday, make it a point to schedule some gaming time into your day, even if it's only for a little while. Play video games on each of the seven days if you can. Treat yourself to a new game in the name of Winter-een-mas, if you can afford it.

Organize Winter-een-mas LAN parties. Have some friends over for some multiplayer. Go to the arcade with some friends. Play an online game with other people. Start a server in the name of Winter-een-mas.

Be nice to your fellow gamers! I know that we're all competitive by nature, but at least for the Winter-een-mas season, try to go out of your way to be pleasant to your gaming bretheren. This doesn't mean you can't lay the smack down on some people in Call of Duty, but just keep in mind the fun spirit behind the season. Try not to let people irritate you as much. Enjoy yourself! Make sure you tell people how much you enjoyed playing a game with them.

There are many ways to celebrate Winter-een-mas. As long as you keep in mind the spirit of the holiday, feel free to come up with your own Winter-een-mas traditions. Then email me to tell me how you'll be celebrating Winter-een-mas, or send pictures. I'll share them with everyone. This is how we develop holiday traditions

Of course not! Much like you don't have to be religious to enjoy christmas, you can celebrate the spirit of Winter-een-mas even if you aren't a gamer. Just wish some people a Happy Winter-een-mas and support the nature of the holiday!

Winter-een-mas was originally created because of the bitter winter chills, but has expanded to encompass the gaming spirit. What better way to take your mind off the cold than with some video games? However, just because Ethan is dealing with winter, it doesnt mean the entire world is. But you can celebrate Winter-een-mas just like everyone else.

Well, there you have it! One thing I would like to add on the second to last question (regarding the necessity to play video games to celebrate), is that this is certainly true. You don't have to play video games to celebrate Winter-een-mas. I know of many people who have anime marathons, watch lots of Star Trek or other such things. Keep that in mind while you're planning how to celebrate Winter-een-mas in future years.
[/quote]
I very strongly approve this holiday!

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 13:21 

Faux Album Contest (1)
Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:
Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:

Yes. Yes it is.

*Hug*

*hug*

Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:
Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:

I did. I was ignored.

Well that relative is certainly not an asshole.
[/end sarcasm]
I think I might simply have picked something from among their presents in exchange, because that would only have been fair.

I wouldnt have wanted anything they got anyways..

Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:
Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:

What's Wintereenmas?

What is Winter-een-mas?

they be celebrated?

I very strongly approve this holiday!

Most gamers do. :D

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 13:35 
Veteran

Avittion wrote:
*hug*

*Squeezes you until your eyes pop out, and then puts them back in*

Avittion wrote:

Not even a card with money?

Avittion wrote:

Now I wish I had some game-related accessories to wear.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 14:02 

Faux Album Contest (1)
Albert Clare wrote:
Avittion wrote:
*hug*

*Squeezes you until your eyes pop out, and then puts them back in*

So that's how the seer of heart goes blind... :-P (homestuck reference)

Avittion wrote:
Albert Clare wrote:

Nope. Which is pretty weird given past gift histories.

Avittion wrote:
Albert Clare wrote:

I feel like that all the time. I can relate to those feels.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 15:37 
Veteran

Avittion wrote:
So that's how the seer of heart goes blind... :-P (homestuck reference)

That once had my interest, but lost it long, long, long ago.

Avittion wrote:
Albert Clare wrote:

Nope. Which is pretty weird given past gift histories.

Weirdness.

Avittion wrote:
Avittion wrote:
Albert Clare wrote:

I feel like that all the time. I can relate to those feels.
[/quote]
But I don't have "feels"!

(I think I like you anyway, though.)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 23:31 
Veteran

Addendum:

- A USB keyboard and mouse combo, which are both much needed and very appreciated.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 04:59 

L Award (1)
I got a Game that involves balancing coat hangeresk things called Suspend, the Videogame Destiny, a couple books, and some clothes.

And a few other things I have forgotten since I didn't take a full catalogue, and it's been a littlewhile since Christmas.

Unrelated, since I used my personal savings and a boxingday sale, but I also got a new Laptop this season.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 09:14 
Veteran

A little money, Sleeping Dogs for Xbox One, some MTG cards, and $30 in tips (that's damn good for my job) at work that night/morning.