All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: HAT OFF
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 23:27 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
It's the Mercury Hat Off. It seems we have a number of members who all rather treasure their hat collections—but WHOSE IS THE BEST‽
It will never really be settled, so we will have to be content with merely showing off what we have in our collections.

I'm going to start things off simply with a ball cap.
[spoiler]Image

Every hat has a story, so:
This is the first ball cap I ever owned that was actually mine. It was purchased when I was 9 or 10 years old not far from Chinatown, NYC. Chinatown was one nasty, seedy place at the time (I don't know if it's changed or not), but Little Italy—that place was heaven.[/spoiler]

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 23:39 
Veteran

Medals: 1
2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Yankees? I don't even follow sports and I know that's blasphemy.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2365[/ATTACH]
This is my favourite costume hat. I was going as a Pirate Queen for Halloween, but I saw this hat and it was cheap and it had to be mine immediately. The next day I got sushi while dressed as a 1950's zombie, two weeks before Halloween. I think the girl at the counter still remembers me. It was a good day.

[align=center]Ars longa vita brevis(Sometimes I have feelings about art.)[/align]

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 23:40 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
If we're going Low-key, then I'll start Low-Key:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2366[/ATTACH]

A newsie-style flatcap I wore through much of high school.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 23:54 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Starting low key? Okay. Here's a Duff hat I found in Germany. Also acquired that day were Duff beer glasses and Duff playing cards. So in the style of Homer Simpson, I bring you:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2367[/ATTACH]
(By the by, if you double click the image after you upload it and are still editing, you can choose the "full size" option. If that interests anyone.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 23:55 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
I have no pirate related headware, unfortunately. I do however...
[QUOTE=Cataphrak;206584]If we're going Low-key, then I'll start Low-Key:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2366[/ATTACH]

A newsie-style flatcap I wore through much of high school.[/QUOTE]
...have three flat caps. The one that is the same style as Cata's up there is unfortunately also the one whose picture seems to have gone missing. Luckily there is ALREADY a picture of it in the Darkroom:
[spoiler]Image
This hat...is honestly the only one in my collection that I do not know the origin of. I generally refer to it as my "evening cap," seeing as that is when I wear it most often.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image
This is my primary flatcap, and I wear it quite frequently. It was gifted to me by my parents a few years ago, and is black suede.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image
This was my grandfather's flatcap. You may note that it is very...worn and fuzzy looking. It came from Poland immediately before WWII, making it older than my father and any of his older siblings. I unfortunately do not wear it, because my grandfather sweated in it nearly every other summer day for anywhere between 60 and 70 years.[/spoiler]

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 00:02 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2368[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2369[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2370[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2371[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2372[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2373[/ATTACH]
Since we're posting styles. I believe these are all my baseball caps... or shall I say football caps in the form of baseball caps.

From left to right: Germany, Ukraine, Greece, Germany, Panathinaikos (Greek football team), and Greece again. Hats were purchased in their respective countries. Well, except the US and Ukraine. Those were purchased in Germany.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 00:08 
Veteran

Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Yes Crystal, but do you know what team you DON'T have?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2374[/ATTACH]
China.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 00:15 
Administrator

[font=Verdana][spoiler][/font]ImageFrom Arizona. I have never been to Arizona. My aunt and uncle got this for me. She has relatives there.[font=Verdana][/spoiler][/font][font=Verdana][spoiler][/font]ImageFrom South Carolina. I have never been to South Carolina.[font=Verdana][/spoiler][/font][font=Verdana][spoiler][/font]ImageFrom Baltimore, Mayland. I have never been to Baltimore.[font=Verdana][/spoiler][/font][font=Verdana][spoiler][/font]ImageFrom Budapest, Hungary. I have never been to Budapest. My maternal grandfather makes semi-regular trips there, because it's home for him. He comes back speaking Hungarian and nobody knowswhat he's saying.[font=Verdana][/spoiler][/font][font=Verdana][spoiler][/font]ImageBecause, guess where I attend. They gave these out for free on campus once, so I expected to be, you know, really cheap and crappy. It's amazingly a very well made hat, and I wear this one probably second only to the Yankee cap when it comes to ball caps.[font=Verdana][/spoiler][/font]​[font=Verdana][spoiler][/font]ImageThis one lights up with LEDs. It came from a security con my father went to.[font=Verdana][/spoiler][/font][font=Verdana][spoiler][/font]ImageAnd this one is because my dad is huge Trekkie, and I enjoy it myself. Got this one at an amusement park, but I can't remember which one. Pretty sure it was in Florida somewhere.[font=Verdana][/spoiler][/font]And there, all my ball caps.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 00:34 
Root Administrator

Me, reading A Practical Guide to Racism to Cataphrak just now: "They may appear to be idyllic coastal paradises, but travelers should be careful when visiting areas like Cancun and Cabo San Lucas. The girls there are untamed and liable to go wild at a moment's notice. Often they can be provoked by little more than the offer of a free hat, or a string of beads."

Cataphrak: "So... that's how you got all those hats."

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 00:47 
Administrator

[QUOTE=Cataphrak;206588]Yes Crystal, but do you know what team you DON'T have?

[/attach]
China.[/QUOTE]
And the USSR!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 01:24 

Medals: 7
Funniest Member (1) Best Writer (2) Too Sexy For This Site (4)
Oh goddamn it i left all my hats in York.

Ill go and make one to defeat you all.

Don't think about Elephants.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 12:48 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
Does it count as a collection if I only have one?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 13:18 

Medals: 14
Best Poster (2) Most Whiny (1) Best Blogger (1) Most Creative (1) Best Traditional Artist (2)
Too Sexy For This Site (3) 2009 Halloween Costume Contest (1) Best Username (1) Spamwhore (2)
I don't normally collect hats, but I do have a few I can post.

Bwahahaha, the white Zelda one is also around here somewhere. >_>

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 16:18 
Administrator

[QUOTE=David;206622]Does it count as a collection if I only have one?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

[spoiler]Image
This is a WWII Swiss Army helmet. It is coated iron with a short neck guard (similar to the stormtrooper helmets of Germany. According to a burning on the leather chin strap, it belonged to a soldier named J.BRÃœGGER. I got it as a local peddler's mall.[/spoiler]

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 17:14 
Root Administrator

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2376[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2377[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2378[/ATTACH]
Let's see... When I lived in the Netherlands, there was a concert called PinkPop in the town I lived in that I went to, which had a bunch of musical acts play, like Editors, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Marilyn Manson, Arctic Monkeys, Iggy Pop, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Nickelback, Dave Matthews Band, 30 Seconds to Mars, Macy Gray, Maximo Park, Smashing Pumpkins... etc.

The other two hats are German. Got them in Germany of course!

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 18:22 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
If David's going to post his one and only hat, then I'll post mine. (I suppose I could hunt out my old riding hat and ill-fitting cap too.)

Horrible, bad quality photo, but this is the one and only hat I've ever owned that truly fits. It was knitted for me as an 18th birthday present by my best schoolfriend, and I've worn it every winter since then (though rather less often in recent years, since my current coat has a very warm hood).[ATTACH=CONFIG]2380[/ATTACH]

(I may be short of hats, but I do have a giant Pikachu that I could pose with. :lol:)

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 22:11 

Medals: 14
Best Poster (2) Most Whiny (1) Best Blogger (1) Most Creative (1) Best Traditional Artist (2)
Too Sexy For This Site (3) 2009 Halloween Costume Contest (1) Best Username (1) Spamwhore (2)
[QUOTE=dinowoman;206629]
(I may be short of hats, but I do have a giant Pikachu that I could pose with. :lol:)[/QUOTE]

Do it.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 22:26 
Administrator

What you need are cool hats like the Bug Collectors.

[spoiler]Image
This is a stiff woven pith helmet that belonged to my grandfather. He used it while attending to his beehives.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image
I got this at a Rainforest Café.[/spoiler]

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 02:15 
Veteran

[QUOTE=Zeth;206591]And the USSR![/QUOTE]

You are member of Team USSR?

I am CAPTAIN of Team USSR.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2381[/ATTACH]

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 03:04 

I've got me a hat or two... but here's one for now:

It's not mine, though. I took to wearing it during Latin class, though, since you can never have enough Spartan Vikings.

The sad part was when we were doing presentations, and everyone else was getting in costume for them and going all out, I just wore that hat. No one said a word. :D

Feel free to contact me however. My IM and Email is always open whenever I\'m awake.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 03:31 
Veteran

You look like you're waiting to audition for the role of Brian Blessed (not in any movie, I mean, just playing him in real life).

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 20:22 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I regret that I have but one hat to photograph for my forum.

\Image

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 20:44 
Administrator

Fedora! I too have one of these "fedoras."

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I kinda like yours more though, to be honest. Sans pins, but that's just me.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 21:08 
Root Administrator

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2402[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2403[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2404[/ATTACH]
Some kinda Turkish hat. Dunno.

A beanie I got from a college friend quite some time ago.

A beret that came with a shirt I got once. I... don't really know how to wear them. So. Yeah. There's that.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 17:41 
Administrator

Look, Stetson!

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Also, I'm going back and putting all my photos in spoiler quotes. In retrospect, that would have been a MUCH better idea.