All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: The Confessional
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 19:58 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
I'm currently applying to teach English abroad in Japan, because I haven't been doing terribly much with myself over the past year or so (other than finally getting a good creative streak going over the past few months), and want to explore the world. I'm also currently making a lasagne, but that's more of a short-term goal, with the end result hopefully being a satisfied digestive system.

Anybody else ever try living abroad (if anybody's still here to read this)?

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 03:26 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I'm envious (or will be if you get accepted). Of course, I did live abroad for a year when I did my German degree, and spent a year in Mainz. It was a lot of fun (other than missing Mac, because we got engaged early in my time out there).

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 00:20 

Medals: 1
Best Newcomer (1)
Well there are a few posts around, so this place isn't completely dead.

I think I've been away longer than I was active around here in the first place, but someone posted something on facebook that reminded me of the time of my life when I did join up here, so I thought I'd pop in after trying to clean up over a foot of snow from Winter Storm Niko (a good name). I did graduate with my Bachelor's degree in Latin. Currently I'm living at home with parents still, but I've got a 19-year-old car to drive, and job that I like and that pays decently. For a while I was substitute teaching and looking for Latin-teaching jobs, but the closer I came to a real position the more I realized teaching was not for me. I recently landed a job bartending at a taproom for a craft brewery, it's enjoyable and I appreciate the tips (though I wish there were more hours available per week). I'm also in better physical shape than I've ever been before, I regularly run 10ks if the weather permits and I've started going to the gym a few times a week. So I'm doing pretty good and feeling pretty good.

I don't know that I'll end up being back regularly, but I had some fond memories and thought it was worth swinging by. I guess I'll try to check in a bit more to see if people respond, but if not, there it is. Status: updated.

ὁ ἀκτεανος ξενος εἰμι, ἐρρων δια τον οἰζυρον κοσμον,
ἐτι οὐδεν νοσου μογου κινδυνου ἐστιν ἐν ἀγλαῃ γῃ οἱ βαινω
δευρο εἰμι ὀψομενος πατερα, δευρο εἰμι μηκετι ἀλωμαι,
ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ ἰορδανην, ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ οἰκον

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 03:37 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Lovely to hear from you again, Nils. It sounds like you're doing ok currently, which is great. (I know so many people who've tried teaching and decided it wasn't for them.) You can bring us your wisdom about craft beers if you look in a again. (And you're right - the place isn't completely dead, but it's not exactly alive - our most active posters became too busy to continue regularly and things went downhill from there, unfortunately.)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 03:40 
Veteran

Ah, most unexpected of you to come back, but it's a delight to hear from you, and it sounds like you've really found a nice little niche, even if it isn't perfect. Congratulations on that, and the degree. I'm one of those who found out teaching wasn't quite right for them, and I have a close friend who came to a similar conclusion, though for different reasons. Now I want to get myself into better shape, too.

So, read or watch or play anything good lately?

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 19:10 

Medals: 1
Best Newcomer (1)
Well I've found it harder and harder to keep up with watching serial content, but I've been doing my best to work through Critical Role. Still like...30 episodes behind though. I have started following a few comics, but I need to catch up on those too, I had to stop over the summer while I was low on money and haven't gotten back to it yet now that I have cash again. No super-hero stuff, but titles like The Wicked & The Divine, The Injection, Cry Havoc, Monstress, and a few others (all published by Image). And my laptop has been in bad shape for a while (my friend is giving me recommendations for a new one this year), but I've been playing a lot of Fire Emblem Heroes on my phone this week.

You guys? Anything interesting there?

ὁ ἀκτεανος ξενος εἰμι, ἐρρων δια τον οἰζυρον κοσμον,
ἐτι οὐδεν νοσου μογου κινδυνου ἐστιν ἐν ἀγλαῃ γῃ οἱ βαινω
δευρο εἰμι ὀψομενος πατερα, δευρο εἰμι μηκετι ἀλωμαι,
ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ ἰορδανην, ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ οἰκον

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 00:46 
Veteran

I understand the difficulty keeping up with serial things; life can sort of swallow you at times. I prefer to do a good binge of something, and to get through it in a day or two, so I can take in everything at once. I've also begun reading through the very long Dream of the Red Chamber; I'd read an abridged edition before, and really enjoyed it, so I think tackling the whole thing will be interesting. It's proved enjoyable so far. I also now find myself spending more of my free time creating than consuming. I've also started studying Japanese, which is very interesting to say the least. It achieves many things... differently from how languages I'm more accustomed to do, and I find that rather exciting.

I've also discovered I have a copy of Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, and have begun playing it. It is quite fun so far.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 05:02 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
My laptop finally died a week or two ago, with a major hard drive fault. I've just ordered a new one. I';; try to remember to let you know how I get on with it when it arrives. I've ordered one with a fairly high spec so I can do gaming on it.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 18:34 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Hey congrats on graduating! I'm working toward that myself. Part of why I haven't been around very much. I've also been playing Fire Emblem Heroes! I'm losing interest though... I have all these four stars, no five stars, and no way to promote the four stars because feathers are not exactly plentiful in the game.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 16:51 

I mostly just log in daily to get the bonuses these days. Still a fun game to go back to from time to time, though. And I have too many feathers, but haven't taken any of my 4 stars into 5 stars. Probably should do that sometime.

Going into another topic... Well, this is a small forum with people I like. I do feel comfortable bringing this up here, and it should be a good point to start bringing this up to bigger groups rather than just one person at a time. Remember how last year I made a post in which besides the good stuff I commented on some inner conflict, changes, and piecing things together before saying anything about it? (it's just one page away anyway, it's a bit on the slow side over here huh)? Well, it's time to talk about it, so here goes.
After a few years of constantly dancing around the subject, I've decided to start coming out as transgender. So yeah, it's been on my mind for a while now but hey, I'm finally starting to move in the right direction rather than ignore what I should've pieced together years ago in the first place. Still got things to figure out here, but this is a start so... that's that I suppose?

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 02:25 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
You're actually not the only Mercer in that situation, though the other person I know about hasn't visited here in a long time. Naturally you have a lot of things to figure out, but I hope everything works out well for you. What are attitudes like where you are? (I've forgotten what country you're in.)

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 09:56 

Thanks! :D
As for over here... well, Guatemala's one of the most heavily Christian countries in Latin America. Dunno how well it'll go over here, so I'm pretty much starting with my identity online. Chances are, I'll move to the US with Sare, or if needed I happen to have Spanish citizenship as well so that'd help with that, probably. But yeah, until then, I'm keeping things to my online circles where people I know from here won't likely learn about it yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50