All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: The Confessional
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 22:35 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Sorry to hear that; I hope your stomach gets to feeling better soon, if nothing else. Oddly enough, I've had two bouts of mild food poisoning over the past few months, and that's rather enough to frighten me away from eating anything pre-prepared and frozen for a while, and maybe made me not want pizza or eggrolls for a while.

Hopefully, the busyness can go away soon.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 08:43 
Veteran

I got pretty lucky at work in the past few weeks. The other 3rd shift guy is being a real asshole and I personally think he's trying to get fired, but I don't know. This has resulted in the manager cutting his hours and jacking mine up. I'm doing just under 40 hours a week and I'll have health benefits in a few weeks.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 18:10 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
That's good to hear. Glad things are looking up for you.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 19:23 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I am in a state of uncertainty concerning what I want to do with my life.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 21:36 
Veteran

What you want to do, or what you think is feasible? I suppose I don't know you well enough to comment either way, though.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2015, 00:59 
Veteran

The Time Being wrote:
I am in a state of uncertainty concerning what I want to do with my life.

I'm at that same spot as you. I've tried Grad School twice and both times bombed... And truthfully... I don't think I've had a real goal in terms of a career or life...

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2015, 16:55 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I never had a goal in terms of career. I studied German but ended up doing software engineering (in telecomms.) for 10 years and then working in a preschool for even longer, just because those jobs happened to be available when I was looking.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2015, 23:07 
Veteran

I suppose I used to have one (I was going to pursue an academic career), but it started getting in the way of writing what I really wanted (and was also a bit more stressful than I liked), which had negative psychological repercussions, so I've decided not to go that route; so now I'm essentially paying bills while I write things and look for better jobs to give me more money while I do this. It isn't ideal, but it's improving. I suppose the moral in this is follow the real dream (once you figure out what it is), and not the similar looking chimera? Fulfilment is better than paltrier measures of success, but also remember that you need to eat? Something of the sort.

Career goals aren't really all they're made out to be anyway, since stuff changes quickly, and what was lucrative one day might well not be the next; it's better to take things as they come and try to be as happy as you can, but perhaps you already know this.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2015, 03:04 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I'm annoyed with my bank. When my mother died I received a largish sum of money from the sale of her house, which since then has been in one investment account or another. The latest one came to the end of its term recently and the financial advisor who's been dealing with it has just arranged for it to be moved into a new account that will go towards a pension for me when I eventually retire. She was very keen for me to transfer it as soon as possible so she could make the best use of this financial year's tax-free savings allowance before the new tax year starts up in a few days. Yesterday I went into my bank and arranged the transfer. I went in in person, with the letter from the previous investment company that said they'd paid the money to me, and my passport as identification, and the transaction was authorised and signed by me and two bank clerks. I also gave them my mobile number in case they needed to contact me, as they only had my home number. I saw the bank clerk type it in and overwrite the home number as my preferred contact number (she had turned the screen towards me so I could see everything she input). She told me it would all go through by the end of the working day.

Late last night Mac discovered a voicemail on our home phone from the bank's security department, wanting to confirm the transaction and asking me to phone them back by 5pm, and saying it wouldn't go through until I had. So now it's been delayed by a day. Why did they try to phone me at home when I know their system said to use my mobile number? And whatever can a phone call do anyway to confirm the legitimacy of my request any more than my physical presence, my passport, a letter from a well-known and reputable firm and two bank clerks could do in the branch earlier in the day?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2015, 10:51 
Veteran

I could understand if it were an online transaction, but all the things you did while physically present really should have been more than enough. I find that happening very confusing.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2015, 08:48 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
If I had to guess at the logic, because you changed all that at once, someone from a more central branch wanted to contact your previous contact information to make sure you weren't having your identity stolen.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2015, 14:13 
Veteran

So, I've finished a novel draught (again); it's about 222 handwritten pages. Surprisingly, there was little hand-cramping involved.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2015, 02:41 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Congratulations! :)

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2015, 10:21 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Congrats!

This is my last quarter of "real" classes (I have fieldwork and a research thing next year), but it's going to be an incredibly busy quarter. I can only imagine that even with no classes I'm not going to catch a break.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 02:36 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
At least it sounds like there's light at the end of the tunnel. I hope you get a chance to relax a bit at the end of the quarter before plunging into the research project.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 13:58 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
On the plus side I'm designing a research project that involves video games right now, so that's pretty cool.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2015, 19:52 
Veteran

I have a new computer now. This makes me exceedingly happy. The old one was probably about to die, and this one doesn't suffer from the horrible lagging problems that it had.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 04:48 
Veteran

Nothing like a new computer when the old one is just a piece of shit. My mom wanted my old one when I got my new one, so I gladly gave it to her. Sometimes I have to use it because it's the only computer in the house with a printer. It's so horrible. :(

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 18:49 
Veteran

You can't install the drivers on the new one?

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2015, 02:43 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Maybe it's just quicker to hop on the old one than to disconnect the new one, take it to the printer, connect it up, then disconnect it,reconnect the old computer again and return the new one to wherever it was previously (an action I have to do frequently, and it's not exactly time-consuming but it's tedious). Or maybe the computer in question is a PC rather than a laptop, and can't easily be moved.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2015, 05:51 
Veteran

Both my computer and my mom's are PCs. Not a huge fan of laptops. I have one, but I mostly don't use it. I print something like 3 times a year. Just easier to do it from her computer than to buy a printer of my own or to hook it up to my PC.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2015, 08:45 
Veteran

Oh; I suppose I was assuming laptops, since that's what mine is (and what the old one was as well).

PostPosted: 10 May 2015, 12:15 
Root Administrator

I ran my first 5k yesterday! I am super sore today.

PostPosted: 10 May 2015, 21:46 
Veteran

I hope it's at least a good kind of sore?

PostPosted: 11 May 2015, 00:44 
Root Administrator

I suppose you could say that. I'm certainly not injured!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next