All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: The Confessional
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 12:48 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
So there's a fairly large convention I'm going to next week for Ryan's birthday weekend. I asked my EIC if we could get press tickets a few months ago (which are free, vs. $80+ a person for the weekend) in exchange for doing PR stuff of course, and he said we normally get tickets to the convention and were promised them back in January, so sure, we could have them. Then I asked him a few weeks ago if he'd heard anything about the tickets. I waited like a week and a half I think (?) and ask him again. He said he hadn't heard back from, and then messaged me shortly after that with the ticket and hotel information. Unfortunately because they waited so long and this is a rather large convention, all the hotels were sold out, so we'll have to drive in every day, which is about an hour each way. Plus parking, which I'm sure will be fun in the state capital.

Anyway, that was fine, but then I get an email from him a few days ago saying that we'll have to submit press applications because, when he filled it out and put our names down, they completely ignored Ryan's and my names and put his names on the tickets. He had tried contacting the main person for the tickets, but she just told us to do our own applications. So I filled out mine, and Ryan had trouble with his (it took too long to submit and then gave him an error, but he did it again when he got home and it worked fine), and now we are sitting there hoping they give us the tickets when we show up this coming Thursday. I hope it goes off without a hitch because this coming Thursday is Ryan's birthday, so I'd rather him not have to deal with that stress, and I'd also rather him not see me be completely annoyed with the staff.

On a more positive note, I emailed Wizards of the Coast to ask them if they'd be willing to do something cool for his birthday, since he really loves Magic the Gathering, and they said they'd send him some new M15 cards, which came out like, three weeks ago. So that's really awesome. I don't know what "some" means (e.g. whether that's the core set or a couple of booster packs or what) but that's exciting that they were willing to do that.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 12:10 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
And now I got a ticket, and my EIC has a ticket (after canceling his), so they won't give Ryan one. My EIC wrote them again, so hopefully they sort that out by... tomorrow.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 13:03 

Medals: 1
Best Newcomer (1)
Well that sounds like a ballsed-up mess. I hope it all gets sorted out.

Very cool of Wizards, too. They've always seemed to me like a cool, community-friendly company, and it's good to see the big ones doing stuff like that.

ὁ ἀκτεανος ξενος εἰμι, ἐρρων δια τον οἰζυρον κοσμον,
ἐτι οὐδεν νοσου μογου κινδυνου ἐστιν ἐν ἀγλαῃ γῃ οἱ βαινω
δευρο εἰμι ὀψομενος πατερα, δευρο εἰμι μηκετι ἀλωμαι,
ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ ἰορδανην, ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ οἰκον

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 19:27 
Veteran

I'm in this deep, unrelenting depression again. This is happening too much... I don't know what to do. :'(

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 19:50 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
*Attempts to squeeze the depression out of you like so much orange juice*

Other than seeing a therapist, perhaps think of something good that has happened recently...? And what's that on your arm?

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 19:55 
Veteran

I've thought about therapy before. Just can't afford it. I would love to talk to a professional. Maybe they could shed some light on why I always feel this way.

I have an oni mask tattoo on my arm. Going for a full Japanese themed sleeve, but again, I has no moneys.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 20:05 
Veteran

I've been lucky enough to get through them through universities — it's very helpful, and can result in uncovering things of which you were unaware.

And that's interesting — is it in a traditional style?

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 20:14 
Veteran

Nah, it's a little more intricate than traditional. I let the artist have free reign over the style and design. I think he did an awesome job.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 20:26 
Veteran

That works, too, and, even in a small picture, it's eye-catching (I shall probably start thinking of you as 'Oni Mask Tattoo Guy' now, or variants thereof — that's a little long as it is). Your dog also looks nice. I've heard that dogs can be helpful for relieving negative emotions, as can cats, but that's more for stress or anxiety than depression...

I wish I could find a good bad joke to put here, but I can't seem to find pun...

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 20:43 
Veteran

That's my girlfriend's dog, so I do not get to see her too often unfortunately. She's awesome, though. I do have a cat of my own and she does help me feel better a log of the time. She can be a grump like me, so we're compatible.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 20:56 
Veteran

Awww, she's adorable. I had a cat with a similar coat, but her fur was much longer (and she shed all over the place).

You look to be enjoying making evil plots with your feline companion in that picture.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 04:02 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
She looks lovely. One of our neighbours' cats (who seem to spend more time in our house than in theirs these days) is also like her but with long hair.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 04:04 
Veteran

She's an awesome cat. I convinced my dad to let me get a cat around March and after playing with a few it was clear that she was the one. I was looking to adopt a cat that was around a year old. She will be 4 in September but she's been the best cat I could ever hope for. Not a single problem with her yet.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 11:47 
Veteran

It's great when you find the perfect cat. When I had one like that, she started as a kitten, but I was attached to her right away. I held her oddly, as if I were cradling her, and so she was exceedingly tolerant of being picked up in various ways. She was also incredibly lazy and would simply lie on you and purr for hours while you read or did whatever else.

Before (and overlapping with) her, I also had an enormous... Maine Coon, I think they'recalled (he was at least once mistaken for a raccoon by guests because of his markings); he was also enormous, and, when he was not cantankerous (he seemed to have aches and pains in his old age), he was very affectionate. My brother was positively terrified when he would curl up in his lap (he was not declawed, and could really scratch and bite), and more than once waited for me to stumble upon him and remove the cat.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 21:17 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
One of ours is a Maine Coon. They really can get to be big cats-Oxnard has 0% body fat and just kind of floats everywhere but still has an impressive frame. She was declawed by a former owner and we often wonder at what her claws would be like given how big her feet are. Despite this handicap she's managed to catch mice quite handily, which is doubly impressive because she's also kind of an idiot. But a sweetheart. A total diva, but a sweetheart.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2014, 06:15 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I love Maine Coons. I'd probably be horribly allergic to one if we had one though - two or three times the size of a normal cat must equal two or three times the amount of allergens in their fur. :P

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2014, 09:38 
Veteran

They DO have about two or three times the fur of an ordinary cat, but, if I ever do settle, getting some sort of feline will be among my first objectives.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2014, 12:50 
Root Administrator

It ended up being okay. We got to the convention and while we were in the press line, I realized I'd left my wallet on the desk in Ryan's room and worried they wouldn't let me in, but the woman working the table apparently recognized me and let me have my badge. Then they couldn't find Ryan's and I had to tell them that's because they printed out Alex's, and held it up. So Ryan had to re-register, by hand, but he did get his badge.

The rest of the con went really smoothly. We ran into one of his favorite artists who we didn't know was going to be there (Apparently RK Post didn't know he was going to be there either until last week or so) so we got some stuff signed by him and Ryan even got a limited (one of five) playmat by him. He also got a limited (one of two) playmat by Peter Mohrbacher (I guess it was a proof so there were only two made) and a custom drawn playmat by Steve Argyle (I did as well, I'll probably post pics later). Ryan also got a huge awesome print from Steve Argyle that we were really lucky to get our hands on, and Catalyst gave me a free (worth about $50 I think) hardback copy of Shadowrun: Street Grimoire. I was going to send it to Alex but he said I should keep it, so that's pretty awesome. Got some other free stuff from companies who were happy we were there, and I ended up getting enough MTG cards to make a couple decks. We also got to hang out with some friends of Ryan's who were there.

Basically it was a pretty good con.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2014, 05:46 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I'm so glad everything worked out with Ryan's badge in the end and it sounds like it was a really great day. :)

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 20:53 
Veteran

Sounds like it was nice; I really should go to such a convention someday myself.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2014, 09:54 
Veteran

Got myself out of that depression (for now). Been playing a lot of video games and binge watching wrestling and UFC. I think that helped a lot.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2014, 18:23 
Veteran

Congratulations on feeling better.

*Squeezes you*

Absorbing happiness is seldom bad for you.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2014, 19:52 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Indeed, I'm very happy to hear that for you. No one should have to be in that place.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2014, 08:27 
Veteran

Thanks, guys. It does make me feel better. I know I'm not a super active member of this community anymore, but I still love coming here as often as I can and posting and seeing what everyone is up to. :)

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2014, 13:12 
Veteran

Well, then, sit down, and let me pour you a cup of tea and feed you something nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next